Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch won't Disengage

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2013, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch won't Disengage

Hey all, having a problem with the clutch on my 1993 K-1500 4.3L 5 speed manual.

I am just finishing up an engine swap, and I put the slave cylinder back on and bled it today, am getting good pressure at the clutch pedal, and can clearly see the fork moving in the transmission, yet the clutch still won't disengage. I've double checked the master cylinder and the slave cylinder, and neither of them is leaking, and are both in good shape. The slave cylinder is brand new, the master cylinder is pretty old, but there are no signs that it's bad.

At a loss for what might be keeping the clutch from disengaging. I'm going to pull the slave cylinder and try to manually disengage the clutch by pushing on the fork, and if that does nothing, looks like the transmission is coming back off.

If anyone has any advice on what might be causing the problem, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old November 15th, 2013, 5:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you bleed the thing from the bottom up?

Allan
Old November 15th, 2013, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Alan,

I bled it with the slave cylinder off the transmission, holding the bleed nipple as high in the air as possible. I then pushed the plunger into the slave cylinder housing with the nipple open, closed it as soon as I had it all the way in, then let it back out. I did this after I had done several rounds of regular bleeding, and I'm pretty sure there's no air left in there, it has good pressure on the clutch pedal. I'm assuming the clutch is just stuck to the flywheel, so i'm trying to break it loose.
Old November 16th, 2013, 5:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch disk installed correctly?

I got in a hurry doing an engine swap of my own and had this same problem. Had to pull tranny, unbolt pressure plate, flip clutch disk, and reassemble.

Let us know what fixes it!

Fred
Old November 23rd, 2013, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response.

Pulled the transfer case, transmission, and other stuff back off, and hat to pry the clutch assembly from the flywheel, clutch was very rusted, and just stuck to the pressure plate and flywheel. Tried breaking it free with engine torque before I pulled it all, but my little V-6 just wasn't up to the job cleaned up the pressure plate and flywheel, put it all back together, and its working great! Shoulda checked the clutch before I put the engine in, I guess that's one way to learn that!

Thanks all.