Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pls help me figure this out

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pls help me figure this out

hello i am new to the site as a user but have read many great help tips from yall pros. so to start i have a 93 chevy 1500 2wd that i have had for about a year and a half and two days ago i checked the oil during routine maintenance and the oil was milky. so first off i thought head gasket but no loss of power no over heating no smoke no loss of water so i changed the oil and have driven maybe 20 miles since i checked yesterday and had very slight sign of milky oil but when i say light i mean light maybe just let over but i don't wanna drive it if it is gonna hurt my engine. i have a lil knowledge but not a mechanic. so my question is is it my intake gasket as i know if it were a head gasket i would have some noticeable symtoms. however it had been a really long time since i changed oil but i checked avery other week atleast so any help would be greatful or am i jumping the gun is it safe to drive like 5 miles a day to and from work. i love the truck so i am not gonna just get rid of it as i only have 100 bucks in it and its has been very dependable thanks in advance
Old March 3rd, 2013, 6:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it and keep an eye on the oil. Also, check your coolant in the radiator (cold) at the same time.

It "could be" nothing more than condensation from those short trips and long periods between oil changes.

Allan
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like condensation to me. Take it out and drive it about 100 miles some weekend. Any excuse for a trip in the truck right? That should burn out any moisture from the oil. I've had that happen to me too when I used to live close to my work. The "milk" would build up but after a good trip to get it nice and warm the "milk" would disappear.
If I read your comment right you said you drive 5 miles per day to and from work? That's just enough to take the chill off and make condensation build up. Do this about once a month and you shouldn't have any problems. Anyway, that's what I do with mine.
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me 1st say I have no experience with milky oil.
But out of curiosity, if you take the dipstick out and smell the oil, what does it smell like?
If gas, its definitely time for new gaskets.