Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

PLease help me figure out what these codes mean

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2009, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLease help me figure out what these codes mean

OKay so I am trying to help my dad fix this car. He has a Genesis Scanner OTC for 2007 and he is working on a Chevrolet Cobolt and he is running the scanner and he gets the following codes, but he has no idea what they mean or what he can do to fix. PLease let me know if you have any information that might help. Please pretend your talking to a monkey because I have no idea what all this car lingo means I am just helping my dad...here goes:

1. B0012 Driver Frontal Deployment Loops Stage 1 Resistinal below threshold

2. B0013 Driver Frontal Deployment Loops Stage 2 Resistinal below threshold

3. B0015 Left Front Prtensioner deployment resistance below threshold

4. B0022 Right front Pretensioner deployment loop open circuit

Also, he is having an issue getting the honk to work. If he pushes it on the steering wheel nothing happens, but when he uses the keychain alarm where you can lock your doors and do the emergency honk it does work...any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks!!!!

Erica
Old October 10th, 2009, 8:02 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You said not to get technical, but there's no way around it. Those are air bag codes. and there are a couple common problem when you have that many codes. The first being a chaffed airbag harness inside the steering wheel. The second being a small plastic connector lock on the back of the drivers airbag. This is very easily missed to the average fixer-upper.

To remove the airbag, disconnect the battery for 5 mins, then on the sides of the steering wheel you'll see 2 small holes. Use a small allen wrench, or a skinny blunt screwdriver, and push it straight in.. You'll feel something spring loaded, push against it and one side of the airbag should pop out, do the same on the other side.

while you're in there, make sure the horn wires are connected and not chaffed also

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Air Bag Indicator Illuminated (Install Protective Material)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Pontiac G5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Saturn SKY</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Opel GT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2008 Daewoo G2X</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>Built Prior to 02-02-09</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>Condition

Some customers may comment that the air bag indicator lamp, located in the instrument panel cluster, is illuminated.
Upon performing a DTC check, the technician may find a B0012-02, B0012-0E, B0013-02 or B0013-0E code stored in the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) system.
Cause

This condition may be caused by a short to ground in the yellow SIR wiring harness. This wiring harness is located within the steering wheel assembly and connects the steering wheel inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel inflatable restraint module coil. A sharp edge on the steering wheel stamped steel horn plate may rub through the yellow SIR wiring harness insulation, allowing the harness to ground to the horn plate.
Correction

1. Remove the steering wheel inflatable restraint module. Refer to Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement in SI.

2. Inspect the yellow SIR wiring harness that connects the steering wheel inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel inflatable restraint module coil. Look for any chafing, cracks or areas where the wiring, insulation or protective wire sleeve has been damaged.
  3. If the inspection of the wiring harness reveals a condition that may allow the wiring to short to ground, replace the steering wheel inflatable restraint module coil. Refer to Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Coil Replacement in SI for replacement procedures.
  4. With the steering wheel inflatable restraint removed, use the following steps to install a piece of adhesive-backed flocking material to the stamped steel horn plate in order to prevent future damage to the SIR wiring harness.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>4.1. </TD><TD vAlign=top>Prepare a 15 mm (19/32 in) X 70 mm (2-3/4 in) piece of adhesive-backed flocking material (such as Kent Industries Part KY13487* or the equivalent).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>4.2. </TD><TD vAlign=top>Install the flocking material to the stamped steel horn plate as shown. Center the length of the flocking material on the horizontal edge of the opening in the horn plate. Ensure that 5-7 mm (1/4 in) of the flocking material overlaps the front and back of the horn plate. The flocking material must cover the complete length of the horizontal opening. Press (pinch) along the length of the flocking material to ensure adhesion to the horn plate.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  5. Install the steering wheel inflatable restraint module. Refer to Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement in SI.
Old February 27th, 2013, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B0012 and B0013 codes

I have a 2006 Malibu that was hit in the front end hard enough to bend the rim. The airbags did not go off but the SRS light is now on and a scan gave the code B0013. After reading about the chaffing problem these cars have and the inspection showed some chaffing, I ordered and installed a new clock spring and put some soft sided Velcro on the bar to keep it from chaffing again. The light is still on but now the scanner is showing B0012 as well as B0013 and now it is saying the passenger seat belt is buckled when it is not... Help!! any ideas out there?