Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quit/No start-98' V6 cpi "W" vortec engine

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2009, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quit/No start-98' V6 cpi "W" vortec engine

just got(non-running) cranks well, gas at schrader valve. I poured an oz.of fuel down throttle bore-nothing but did seem to detonate/fire just as I released the key back?

I was told it needs engine and when they were driving home exiting thruway they heard motor knocking or tapping, wife mentioned tappets. They drove it home 8-10 miles and parked it where it has sat for 2 mos.

I found today resevoir empty and rad down 1 qt. or so-cold. Also rad neck appeared dry & tannish looking. engine & compartment are untouched/original has 148k miles. well that's about all I can think of right now?
Old October 14th, 2009, 5:50 PM
CF Active Member

Dont know if this helps, but on my 305 V-8, we had to replace the ignition module. $40.00.
Its in the distributor. Get it fired off, then listen to the tapping again. Put in fresh plugs too. The 4.3 is a string little motor, just as much punch as a 350.
Old October 14th, 2009, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SuperTexan
Dont know if this helps, but on my 305 V-8, we had to replace the ignition module. $40.00.
Its in the distributor. Get it fired off, then listen to the tapping again. Put in fresh plugs too. The 4.3 is a string little motor, just as much punch as a 350.
Yes that is what I am trying to accomplish first. I did pull a plug and all looked well but do plan on going right thru it once I figure what needs to be done. I don't want to just replace the motor...unless I was to find a sweet deal. I started looking and found most people just know it's a V6 or a Vortec. I've been looking for a CPI close to year 98', I guess they call it a L35 engine. The problem is I'm not sure if it has a serious internal/mechanical problem?
Old October 14th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to find out if you are lacking spark or fuel. Just because there is gas a the schrader valve it does not mean there is enough pressure to run.
Old October 14th, 2009, 6:56 PM
CF Junior Member

I keep thinking how they said it was clattering or knocking but drove it home?? sorry I don't have more info
I did buy an Actron fuel psi tester today but was hoping to maybe return it (unopened) to buy a better one at Amazon which has a 6' line for only 10.00 more. I figure the extra 5 ft. would be nice and maybe a neccessity at some point!
Probably outta just use it!lol. I just got it yesterday....
I would think she would fire just by even pouring some gas down the air intake thingy? what the heck to they call that again?
Old October 14th, 2009, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SuperTexan
I should be so lucky..not
my distributor is probably different than yours but I don't know for sure..
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

got it going, replaced cap & rotor/primed and she fired right up! engine knocks bad though...