Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removal of DPF

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2012, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of DPF

I have a 2009 Silverado with most all the Gale Banks equipment(CAI, exhaust, IQ). Anyway I was thinking of removing or diabling the DPF stuff in search of mileage. Can the DPF be removed? What whould I do for a muffler seeing Gale banks exhaust eliminates that? What computer program would be needed? Will it cause any damage to engine? Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2012, 4:41 AM
CF Beginner

Anybody got any ideas?
Old July 11th, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

the dpf is a deisel particulate filter. all it does is capture the soot from the exhaust. once it gets hot it burns it off. i cant remember if those models had a ninth fuel injector in the exhaust or not. it is used to make a flame to get the filter hot enough to burn everything off. if u want to get the most milage with those kinds of mods. do a dpf and egr delete. and get a custom tune done. i know if u go to a good shop, and efi live tune will take care of any computer problems
Old July 14th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer as to wehther or not you can delete it is YES; but with a huge caveat. Doing so is illegal and could possibly void your warranty.

If you did find a way to bypass it or remove it altogether, it would not be long before you'd be seeing better fuel economy.
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

I understand its not legal and would void my warranty, but those were not the questions. I am only worried about disable/removal of DPF stuff, is there a muffler to replace the DPF available seeing I have Gale Banks exhaust, and who makes best program to accomplish this(and is it compatible with Gale Banks SixGun or do I have to remove that)? Is there any possible engine damage that can occur? What would price be on EFI LiveWire program? Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2012, 1:35 AM
CF Active Member

Hey Vette, my next truck will be a Chevy duramax and I would love to know how you make out and what the outcome was regarding fuel mileage and extra power if any.

I'm sorry I have no clue as to your questions. I just hope I can learn from your experience.

Thanks

Eric