Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sivlerado won't start.

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sivlerado won't start.

I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 liter. I turn the key to start it and it won't start. I have power to everything. When I turn the key there is no sound. I checked the battery and its good. I checked the fuses and they are good. I took the starter off and had it tested and its good. The security light on the dash is not flashing so the pass code sensor should be fine. I'm at a loss.
Old May 31st, 2012, 5:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do you feel/hear the starter relay click when the key is turned to the start position?

its located in the underhood fuse block.
Old May 31st, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, when I was swapping out fuses/relays to see if one was bad, I had a buddy try starting the truck. I did hear a click
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Did they check the solenoid???? Or just the starter motor? Use voltmeter on small solenoid terminal, when relay clicks you should have 12 volts, if not wiring, if you do then bad solenoid. Don't know the wiring but sometimes the Park/Neutral is between the control relay and the solenoid, might be that. You can get wiring diagrams online at autozone.com.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Well, that's a good question. I assumed when they bench tested it and it passed I figured the solenoid is fine too. When you say park/neutral, are you referring to the TRC switch, transmission range switch?
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

BTW, some are wired with 12V on one small solenoid terminal and the other one goes to the control relay and switches for grounding to start. If yours is wired like that then you can take the one without 12volts and just jumper it to the engine or frame to see if it will crank----key off so it won't start, but at least you will know that it is wiring somewhere.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Yep, AT selector switch, MT clutch down switch.
Old June 1st, 2012, 9:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Mark Thrush,

"millsroger" offers great advice.

It could be caused by an electrical connection, probing fuse or relay connectors. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis. Any aftermarket equipment / modifications?

You may want to consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Nothing aftermarket, I checked all the fuses and relays and they were good.
Old June 1st, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

I also have 2007 Siverado with same problem. I had to change batteries and since no start. I have found it may be the anti-theft system. How do I reset it short of taking to dealer? Why would systems be designed where the owner would not know of preventative steps before he changes battery?