Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting Problem - When sitting for >20 minutes

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem - When sitting for >20 minutes

Hi All,

My 2000 Silverado (V8, 4.8L) with 135,000 miles is having a starting issue. If the truck has been sitting for >20 minutes, it cranks for 3-4 seconds before starting. However, if you turn it off, and then start it right nack up, it cranks over / starts immediately.

It does this whether I have a full or near empty tank, and the only time I have noticed it not happening (as much) is when I start it first thing in the morning when the outside temp is 50 degrees F or below.

I have a new fuel pressure regulator, have cleaned the throttle body / fuel injectors, and have a clean fuel filter.

I have not measured the fuel pressure (do not have the tool), but I am not sure if this is consistent with a fuel pump beginning to go out.

Any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd suggest this, turn on the key without starting it, wait a few seconds, then start it. If it starts right up, it would appear to me the fuel pressure is "bleeding" down.
Old November 17th, 2011, 4:33 PM
CF Junior Member

If the fuel pressure is 'bleeding down', and there is no leak in the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose (to the intake manifold), does that mean there is an issue with the fuel pump? If this is the issue, is there a check valve in the fuel pump that should not allow gasoline to drain back into the tank?
Old November 17th, 2011, 4:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Garon
If the fuel pressure is 'bleeding down', and there is no leak in the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose (to the intake manifold), does that mean there is an issue with the fuel pump? If this is the issue, is there a check valve in the fuel pump that should not allow gasoline to drain back into the tank?
Well, could be a purge valve solenoid leaking back to tank
Old November 17th, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I performed the check you requested and the results are the same: If the engine has been recently started (less than 20 minutes), it will crank right up. If the engine has been sitting a while (such as overnight), it takes several seconds of cranking before it turns over.

Thanks for the replies. Any thing else you can think of?
Old November 17th, 2011, 9:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garon
Yes there is a one way valve built into the pump assembly to keep the fuel from bleeding back into the tank through the pump. Cycle the key atleast 3 times on 3 seconds off 10 then try to start it. If it starts right up and there is no gas in the regulator line then you need to replace the pump assembly.
Old November 19th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

MDTAHOE-

It does appear that cycling the fuel pump 3-4 times before a start has helped tremendously. I did it after work yesterday (sitting for 9 hours) and this morning (sitting for 10 hours) and it cranked over in the regular 1-2 seconds. Assuming I need a new fuel pump, which I will order new, do you recommend also replacing the fuel sending unit (which I assume must be ordered separately)? Does the discussed check valve come with the pump module when ordered? Is there anything else you recommend changing while the fuel tank has been lowered from the vehicle?

Thank you for your knowledge and replies.
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

The fuel pump should come complete sending unit and all. Only buy Ac Delco or Delphi brand anything else has a extremly high failure rate (in less than 1 year).
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks agaion MDTAHOE. I would love to tackle the fuel pump assembly replacement myself. How difficult for a weekend mechanic do you think this would be? I have done all the basic maitenance myself, and usually left the more involved jobs to the professionals.

I have read the Haynes manual (with photos), and it seems to be farily straight forward. The hardest part appears to be lowering the fuel tank. Do you think it would be possible to do this in my driveway?
Old November 21st, 2011, 8:18 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If the tank is empty you could do it in your driveway, it will not be fun. You need to have a jack to lower the tank with. Lots of people on the forum have removed the bed to do the job.