Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

transmission problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem!!!!

Well my 1997 silverado couldn't handle the boat on the ride back home today! boat is just a very very light 14" with an 25 horse outboard so nothing much. AC was on as well.

I believe it to be a seal that blew...but here was the happenings:

driving at 75. flat level ground. suddenly I saw the RPM kick up to 3000. like it shifted down a gear/ into overdrive.
tried to let off the gas to see if it would shift out but it just lowered the RPM, gave it the gas again and it went back into the 3000 range again.

My buddy said he felt a little bit of surging.

I then looked out the mirror and saw some white smoke coming from behind the truck so I pulled it off and shut it down. popped the hood but no smoke. sounded like the engine coolant was boiling (cooled down quickly and was at normal hot level on the overflow tank)...but I did have the AC on even though it is need of a charge.

I looked under to see where there was lots of oil...or so I thought because it was darker in color. I thought maybe my oil pan...but on closer inspection and smelling it was transmission fluid. probably old or burnt.

the smoke was where it was spraying on the muffler and burning off.

lots of fluid ended up underneath and on the boat and trailer...fun cleaning that off.

fluid was black, not red. but I have no idea the history of it, if tranny work was ever done before, when the fluid was changed last. I was actually planning on changing fluid this week because I am on vacation.

I am still trying to figure out where exactly it came from and it is indeed the transmission.

I checked the fluids and everything was still showing within the limits.

I started the truck up and it drove up onto the trailer fine. but I did notice it looked like more fluid leaked out although it could have been residual from the initial problem.

anyone have recommendations on what it might be or where to go? I would like to get it to someone tomorrow if possible.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Sir,

Have dealt with it a million times; the famous Chevy "puke".

If the tranny oil is black, the unit is indeed in need of an overhaul.

Allan

Last edited by Allan In NE; May 22nd, 2012 at 6:13 AM.