Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

violent shaking at 40mph

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default violent shaking at 40mph

Hey I have a 1997 Chevy k1500 z71 and it shakes really bad at 40mph the tires are fine the tie rod ends are firm wheel barings are solid but I can't see why it's shaking yesterday my buddy was driving next to me when it started and he said my front 2 wheels where wobbling side to side and when I slowed down they stopped I jacked up the front end and checked my pitman arms are good but I can move my wheel side to side with the steering wheel locked and when I do it to one wheel both wheels move is this my problem would this cause the shaking at 40 mph if so is it the steering gear box if not what is it please help!!!
Old May 29th, 2015, 4:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few things that could be worn to check: Ball joints, Control Arm Bushings, Tie Rod ends, even though they feel fine with the vehicle on the ground it is best to lift the vehicle so that the wheel is off the ground and have someone move the wheels while you are looking for loose parts.

Even though you said the tie rod ends are good that is the first place I would look.

If you take the vehicle off road then sand/dirt gets into places that you wouldn't think it would go and after years of grinding it wears on all the parts.

In addition to having all the front end parts inspected I would not recommend driving the vehicle because something could come off or fail and cause damage and injury to you or others.