Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban faulty heat / ac

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2014, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 05 Suburban faulty heat / ac

Hello. First timer here.
I have a 2005 Suburban 1500 LS w/ 141k miles. It's been good to my family and I since 2008. Just last month this problem started- the driver's side would not blow hot air at all while the passenger and rear would be fine. My controls are manual (not digital) and have not caused me any problems before.

I'm not a skilled mechanic by any means, but I'm willing to learn and tackle this issue. After doing some reading, it seems that the blend door actuator is the problem. I have not changed the battery or disconnected the battery (as some around here have said contributes to the problem).

Here's what I would like to know
1- Where can I find the blend door actuator? Pics would be appreciated very much.
2- Is there a temporary, manual fix? My dad said that his Lincoln Mark XII has a manual switch on the actuator that he could turn the door from heat to cold (and vice versa) manually during the summer/winter months. Is there such a thing on this Suburban?
3- Anything else you think i need to know?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old December 19th, 2014, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

its either going be on top of the heater/ac box or the bottom if its on top then you should be able to go through the glove box to change it. If it is on the bottom of the box then it willing probably be next to center of dash above the trans hump.i believe it is held in by 2 5.5 mm or 7/32 standard screw. and if it is dual climate control it will have 2 actuator motors.
Old December 20th, 2014, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yep, had the same problem a month ago. Switched out the blending door actuator and back to normal. It is located on the bottom of the ac box. Access it from the passenger side behind the center console after taking the black cover off.

Don't know of any manual switch. It is easy enough to change out. The only problem you'll have is getting the bolts out in a cramped space.

Last edited by load'em; December 20th, 2014 at 3:37 PM.
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by load'em
Yep, had the same problem a month ago. Switched out the blending door actuator and back to normal. It is located on the bottom of the ac box. Access it from the passenger side behind the center console after taking the black cover off.

Don't know of any manual switch. It is easy enough to change out. The only problem you'll have is getting the bolts out in a cramped space.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. If you (load'em) dont mind, could you send me a picture of the area where you accessed the actuator? It would help me a lot.
Thanks!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

I am not able to get the pics right now. Check this video out, it's spot on for what you need to do.
http://youtu.be/Eqf-H3COtSo

Also, I recommend pulling the old one out first, take it to the store with you and make sure the electrical connection is the same. There are at least 3 different variations I saw on the same actuator. Depends if you have manual or digital temp control or if it's for the rear one. Hope this helps. Oh, if memory serves me, I think you need a 8mm and a 7/32" socket.

Last edited by load'em; December 22nd, 2014 at 1:27 PM.