Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Plugs , Wires etc. , and opinions

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs , Wires etc. , and opinions

I am changing the plugs and wires on my 1996 Tahoe with 120,000 miles.

AC Delco Platinum Plugs

Questions are:

1. What brand wires would you go with ? I can choose from Bosch, AC Delco, or Denso?

2. Would you replace the Distributor Cap as a "preventative measure" or not necessary?

Thanks for the input
Old November 13th, 2008, 1:23 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Plugs , Wires etc. , and opinions

In my opinion,
I would do the cap, rotor, wires, plugsand use all AC/Delco parts..

The other band of wires will be approximate fit and not exact fit as the AC parts.

The AC/Delco wires will more then likely be numbered like the factory ones as well.

Get new wire seperators as the factory onesprobably won't hold up to the opening and closing

Also consider the fuel filter and dropping a couple of bottles of Techron in the tank.

If you haven’t done so already flush and replace the coolant

Siphon out the power steering fluid and replace with fresh, you don’t have to get all of it (it absorbs moistures over time that is why is turns so dark)

Consider doing the same with the brake fluid and bleeding then lines

While your under the truck check the transmission and motor mounts for cracks or separation they should be due by now for replacement.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

dont get anything autozone...get some autolite wires...densos r overrated bosch are junk delcos are good but too expensive...go with some delco double platinums with some autolite wires from advance...
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: in2pro

In my opinion,
I would do the cap, rotor, wires, plugsand use all AC/Delco parts..

The other band of wires will be approximate fit and not exact fit as the AC parts.

The AC/Delco wires will more then likely be numbered like the factory ones as well.
Good point. I became aware of the 'approximate fit' after purchasing 'premium' BWD plugs for $64. It seems like none of them are the same length as any of the stock wires I have on the Tahoe. Also, they are not numbered like the stock wires as you mention. After pulling those out of the box in a huge jumbled mess of not a large difference in length of the wires, the numbering on the wires actually seems like it would have value just in the time it saves and avoiding the age-old mixups.

I'm planning on returning the unused wires I got... but I'm wondering, is $119 for AC Delco wires really the normal price? Only place I've found them in my limited searching so far is Summit Racing. Also, if I'm going to pay that much for wires, is there any GM upgrade for the L31? (Example being for the LS1 in my Trans Am, the LS6 Z06 performance wires were a direct fit and were only $57 through the dealership!!)

Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2008, 2:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah there pricey but how often do you change the plug wires? 2 may 3 time in the life of the vehilce? most vehicles now days the wires are good for 100K miles, depending on how you drive that could be 10 years.
I have seen on the web some places that sell full OEM "tune up kits" that run about $400 bucks and include everything, I know that sounds like alot but really you only need to do it once during the life of the vehicle.

Here is an example of a kit, not sure if this one is OEM thou but you get the idea

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/engine_tune...TK00001/724595