Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 tahoe distributer instalation

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 tahoe distributer instalation

i have a 1997 chev tahoe,had to change intake manifold gaskets,when got all back together,engine started right up but had a miss,after checking all connections found the mounting plate on the distributer was broken,so purchased new dist,now when try to install,setting #1 cyl to TDC but can't get rotor to point to the small 8 (which is where #1 plug wire is) i thought was just a couple teeth off on gear but dist can only go in 2 ways since inside shaft is a tab which fits into a slot in gears inside engine, ? if i can just move gear inside engine or not
Old January 29th, 2008, 7:56 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: 1997 tahoe distributer instalation

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. The tang on the end of the distributor fits into the top of the oil pump shaft (at least that's the way the older small blocks worked). What you need to do is slightly rotate the oil pump shaft so that when the dist. drops down and after engaging the cam gear and rotates into final position, it lines up properly. It's a trial and error process but doable.

The above is predicated on the engine not having been rotated since you removed the old dist. If it has, then you'll need to find TDC on #1 on the firing stroke and do the above such that the dist. is set for #1.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 tahoe distributer instalation

Thank you, this answer helped me. I'd like to add what I did was set the distributor/rotor to the '8' position as it would be when seated completely and oriented it as it would sit when installed (flat portion facing front of the vehicle) then held it above my head to see how the tang was pointing. I then used a long flat head screwdriver (goes straight down the distributor hole) to turn the oil pump receptor to point at the same degree. Took two tries as it is a bit hard to see down that hole with the windshield overhang.