Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe Brake Squealing?

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe Brake Squealing?

Hello All,

I have another problem that started recently on my 07 tahoe. When I back up or go forward there is a squeal noise coming from the passenger front wheel. It sounds like metal on metal and when I hit the brakes it feels like grinding on my right foot. Could this be the caliper not releasing or is this a bearing issue? Any help or advice would be appreciate.

I just changed the brakes about 8 months ago and probably have about 15K miles on it.
Old July 29th, 2011, 7:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be pulling the tires off to see what I had screwed up and possibly see if the warning tab was positioned correctly.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ambiguous216,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Did you change the brakes yourself or did you have your dealer do them? Also, have you brought this issue to your local dealerships attention?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 29th, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad Bearings only make noise when they are loaded.

You have a brake surface issue. Take off the wheel and remove the caliper, See if there are any gouge marks on the surface of the brake pad. Then remove the rotor and look for grooves on the surface of the rotor. I think you have a grooved rotor on the RF side. A tiny groove in the surface can give you a whine/squeal when the brake pads are applied or a grinding sound(which is actually air vibrating between the rotor and the pad).

If you suspect something you can have the rotor resurfaced or apply one of those spray on anti-squeal treatments to the brake pad surface.
Old July 29th, 2011, 2:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JimJ
I'd be pulling the tires off to see what I had screwed up and possibly see if the warning tab was positioned correctly.
Thats what I'd suspect.
Old July 29th, 2011, 2:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ambiguous216
Hello All,

I have another problem that started recently on my 07 tahoe. When I back up or go forward there is a squeal noise coming from the passenger front wheel. It sounds like metal on metal and when I hit the brakes it feels like grinding on my right foot. Could this be the caliper not releasing or is this a bearing issue? Any help or advice would be appreciate.

I just changed the brakes about 8 months ago and probably have about 15K miles on it.
If a caliper where grabbing, you'd definatley know it. I also agree with racerx reply.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 29th, 2011 at 2:28 PM.