Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trouble removing oil pan from 96 Suburban.

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2021, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble removing oil pan from 96 Suburban.

I'm removing my oil pan for the first time to replace the gasket, and it seems my flywheel encasement is in the way. Having never touched a flywheel I was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of before doing that. Such as "Yeah, there's a gasket that will have to be replaced." or "There are fluids that will come out and need replaced." Etc...

It also seems in order to remove the flywheel encasement I need to remove the exhaust pipe that crosses in front of it.

Lastly, the bolts on both seem to be rusted. I assume a wire brush and WD40 would be the best solution for that? Do I need a powered wrench of some kind to reinstall those bolts and or will my 1/2" socket wrench do just fine?

Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2021, 1:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Depending on just where those bolts are located, some can be so rusted that WD40 will not help much and they will wring off. Now you will need to get an aftermarket fix
to hold the pipe in place. That is if those bolts are on the exhaust manifold..
You might consider to have a shop with all the necessary tool and equip do this job. What starts out looking like a simple job can become a nightmare if you aren't prepared for the roof falling in.. A few addl opinions won't hurt either.
The following users liked this post:
Spencer Hill (May 6th, 2021)
Old May 6th, 2021, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the reply @hanky . I use some WD40 + a steel brush and that helped. I was able to remove them with a standard 1/2" socket wrench, with a 12" extender, and I don't remember my socket size (for those who were wondering). But I was not able to drop the oil pan down all the way despite removing the flywheel cover. Needs to drop about 4" more. It seems the only way to do that would be to remove or lower the drive train / differential or both. Or lift the engine. Neither of which I'm equipped to do. So I'm calling this one and having it towed to a shop. A good learning experience though!