Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Suggestions for Snow?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2010, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions for Snow?

I have an 07 LT3 with 40,000 miles on it with P275/55/R20 Dueler H&L Alenza tires. They are not spanked yet, but not going to make it through an upstate NY winter. Anyone have any recommendations on a year round M+S / All season tire? Or a dedicated snow? I have not driven this suburban in a winter yet, and have no idea how it will perform. I am coming off an 2500HD Duramax with General Grabbers; nothing could stop that truck. I don't drive everyday off plowed roads, but I snowmobile, alot. This takes me on lots of highway trips in snowstorms towing trailers etc. Then the occasional unplowed parking area or snow packed road etc. I guess my point is I am not the person that listens to the reporter that says stay home until the storm is over. I don't sit home and won't let a bad tire jeopradize my safety. I am willing to invest in the right tire, I just don't want to over buy, as these things are getting more and more expensive. I used to run REVO2's and these are the best tire I ever owned. They were not available last year when I bought tires, so I tried out the Generals and was happy. But the REVOs are now $227/each so worth considering what else is out there.

I was thinking about repurchasing the OEM and testing them out the first snow falls. If they suck I can always buy something else for the winter. But if someone could tell me now they suck in the snow, I would upgrade now.

How about it? Anyone feel like typing way too much about tires and their experience in the snow?
Old October 19th, 2010, 6:34 PM
CF Active Member

zr, I had the same fitment with my 08 LT. The 20's were ok (I am in RI) but I switched to 17's with Nokian WR's 265 70 17 and have not gone back to the 20's.
In fact, I liked them so much I sold the 20's and kept the 17's full time.

Best all around tire I've experienced for the truck IMO.
Good luck.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

zr800: Welcome to the forum.

Check Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/snow/changeover.jsp They have a lot of info.

Personally I had good luck w/ the OEM tires in ten inches of unplowed snow.

Last edited by 73shark; October 19th, 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old October 21st, 2010, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
zr800: Welcome to the forum.

Check Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/snow/changeover.jsp They have a lot of info.

Personally I had good luck w/ the OEM tires in ten inches of unplowed snow.

Really? I am pleased to hear that, Was this like a one time deal, or was this a regular thing.
Old October 26th, 2010, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

hmm, Firestone winterforce for me for winter on my stock 17''
am keeping m 22'' in garage far away of salt and small rocks to be ready for nice sunny summer days ))