Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

seat heater is possessed!!

Old January 23rd, 2011, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat heater is possessed!!

my 2006 suburban seat heater turns on by itself, ill shut it off and it will come back on 5 mins later.. this is very distractive driving, and its burning my back!
any ideas on a fix or wheres the fuse?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Check the switch assembly. My 03 did the same
Old February 7th, 2011, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

My 03 Burban does the same thing. The driver side seat heater comes on by itself and randomly cycles through different heat settings. If I push the buttons on the door to shut it off or change heat levels, it will cycle back on. The seatback gets very hot. No heat felt in the seat bottom.

Any thoughts?
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

mikeh & 89YellowJacket: Welcome to the forum.

The switch would be what I'd check first.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

I know it's been a while but did you ever find the solution to this problem? I've replaced the door switch on my 2004 Avalanche (a $150 part) as well as the module under the seat (a $400 part) but it still comes on by itself. I've unplugged the seat because I simply cannot drive with this problem but now I can't adjust my seat and the passenger seat heater doesn't work. They must be connected somehow.
Old February 4th, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hotseat
I know it's been a while but did you ever find the solution to this problem? I've replaced the door switch on my 2004 Avalanche (a $150 part) as well as the module under the seat (a $400 part) but it still comes on by itself. I've unplugged the seat because I simply cannot drive with this problem but now I can't adjust my seat and the passenger seat heater doesn't work. They must be connected somehow.

Hot Seat. I did fix my driver side seat heater problem on my 03 Suburban. It turns out there was a short in the heating element in the seat. I replaced it myself. If your seat heater comes on randomly and cycles through the heat settings, you likely have the same problem. When it does, whichever element (back or bottom) gets hot, the one that isn't getting hot needs to be replaced. I ordered a seat bottom heater on Ebay for about $75 and replaced it myself. It is a bit tedious, but I'm not overly mechanical and was able to do it myself. You will need inverted torx bits because you have to remove the whole car seat from the truck, disconnect the electrical circuits under the seat and then remove the leather from the bottom seat cushion. It is a couple of hour job. I found a video online on how to replace the leather on your seats. Just google for a video on how to change out the leather. It will show you how to remove the 4 seat bolts, disconnect the wiring and remove the leather. It also shows how to stick the new seat heater to the foam. The job wasn't bad and will save you a couple of hundred bucks. My seat heater has worked like a champ all winter. Best of luck.
Old February 4th, 2012, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the DIY info.
Old February 6th, 2012, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Deirdre Cooke
Hot Seat. I did fix my driver side seat heater problem on my 03 Suburban. It turns out there was a short in the heating element in the seat. I replaced it myself. If your seat heater comes on randomly and cycles through the heat settings, you likely have the same problem. When it does, whichever element (back or bottom) gets hot, the one that isn't getting hot needs to be replaced. I ordered a seat bottom heater on Ebay for about $75 and replaced it myself.
Seat heater should NEVER be able to come on by itself even with a short in the element. First logical thing to check is of course the switch. If that checks good then somewhere there should be a relay the switch operates because these switches aren't designed to handle the amount of electric current the element will take. If I was a betting person, my bet would be a faulty relay. You may have fixed your problem here by having everything unplugged to replace the element and doing that and plugging everything back in may have corrected your problem without you realizing it.
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hi... I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if there's an easier way to replace the seat heater switch in my 2007 Tahoe LTZ other than taking the entire door panel off. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old December 28th, 2012, 2:23 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
From the description below, it looks like the only way to access the retaining screws is from the back side, requiring door panel removal...
I would suggest getting a few extra panel retainers from your local auto parts store to have on hand should you damage any beyond reuse... also Harbor Fright has plastic panel removal tools that can really make the process go easier....
Do it right and do it once...
Attached Thumbnails seat heater is possessed!!-capture.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; December 28th, 2012 at 2:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seat heater is possessed!!