Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 suburban issues

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2013, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 suburban issues

Whats going on fellas! I'm new to the boards here and I got a problem with my suburban. Last Tues I did an oil change, everything went smooth until yesterday. Saturday we took a trip out of town for a few hours and everything was good all day, there and back. Yesterday afternoon I went to take off some trash, well, when I started it up there was this awful knocking sound so I shut it off checked oil and everything was fine. So I started it back and she was still knocking but not as loud as the first, but then it just faded out completely. So I drove around for about 15 to 20 minutes and everything seemed alright until I went to start it up for work this morning and she did the same thing, so I just did what I had done yesterday which was shut it off then start it back up and again it faded out. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks!
Old April 8th, 2013, 6:24 PM
CF Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Have you owned the truck for a while or is it new to you and this was your first oil change? Have you changed the type of oil or vicosity used previously in the truck?

The sound that you are hearing may be piston slap. However, to be safe, when the engine is first started what is your oil pressure gauge showing? You should have over 40 lbs of pressure when the truck is started.
Old April 9th, 2013, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

I've had the truck for 4 years and this was not the first oil change and it has good oil pressure on start up. Its just real crazy how it started doing it a few days after the oil change. This morning when I went to start it up it was fine no noise no nothing.
Old April 9th, 2013, 1:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mulmur1
Welcome to the forum.

Have you owned the truck for a while or is it new to you and this was your first oil change? Have you changed the type of oil or vicosity used previously in the truck?

The sound that you are hearing may be piston slap. However, to be safe, when the engine is first started what is your oil pressure gauge showing? You should have over 40 lbs of pressure when the truck is started.
Thats what I had on my 5.3. Had to replace two pistons.