Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2015, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I have a 2007 Tahoe that I just inherited from my wife. Took to the dealer and spent a ton on it getting caught up on all the services and some other misc. I did not have the stabilitrak lights on before going there and, after picking up the car today, the light came on driving home. After reading through this thread, I had two services that seem to be common culprits; rear shocks and motor mount.

Could there be any other issues that I should have them look at? I know I should let them run the diagnostics but, after my recent experience, not sure I completely trust the dealership in making the call.

Thanks for any help
Old August 9th, 2015, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default stabilitrak light

Ok from what I've seen I'm not the only one with this issue. I need to know how to fix it with out going to the dealer as my warranty is out since I have 86,000 now on my truck. I do understand that there are a number of things that could cause this but I need to know where these sensors are located and how to service them. I paid 36,000 for a truck just so I could work on it my self and now the only answers im seeing are take it to the dealer. If I wanted to take it to the dealer and have it fixed I would have stayed with my other truck which even at 225,000 miles was much less of a pain than this one.

My biggest question to GM is this has been going on since the 2008 Avalanche. Why has GM not done a service bulletin of a recall on all these autos. They were real quick to take our bailout money they should be just a quick to fix issues like this.

Well done venting if I find a way to fix it without going to the dealer I will post it for all to see since GM is no help.

Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Issues continue!

2012 Tahoe LT I just purchased one month ago with 37000 miles continues with problems first with stabilitrack and traction control lights going off every day. After three trips to dealership and multiple parts and approx $600 later no more lights however I continue to feel a rumble under powered feeling when I drive between 35 to 50 mph and the rpm bouncing and not steady even though I am slowly accelerating. Any one else know what this may be dealership cost are rising on a Tahoe with very low miles and I thought would be reliable but it only has 37k miles no accidents not rebuild.

Last edited by Tmlankhaar; August 10th, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old August 11th, 2015, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Just as frustrated and gave up hope trying to get help from Chevy

I have been an advocate for Chevy my whole life. I even own a 1954 3100 that I cherish . When I first bought my 2007 Avalanche ( Used cause I couldn't afford a brand new one ) it had 89,000 miles on it and was meticulously taken care of by the previous owner. Right after turning 100,000 miles ( and the warranty ending ) things started to go down hill. First ( and STILL ) the BIGGEST PROBLEM, the air bag light came on. After bringing it to the dealership, they diagnosed was it needed a rollover sensor. The cost of that was going to be over $800. I decided not to have it replaced, to purchase the part myself and replace it. Now at 190,000 miles, I still have that same problem with the airbag light being on. I have changed the part twice and the light keeps coming on and off. So now I am left with trying to figure out what is causing this issue.

At the same time after 100,000 miles, I got the mysterious cracks in the dash that others have experienced. This has been the only good thing that turned out from Chevy for me. They heard about this and contacted me and was able to get my dash replaced for free.

As for the stability track light, that had become a constant issue on and off. After much research on my own I have replaced the parts of myself where the light is now off. But every time there is a new issue, that light will come on. I believe it's mostly the "idiot light for everything"

As for the sputtering coming from the engine either at an idol or when taking off, I have narrow that down to either a crack in one or two of the spark plugs or replacing all the coil packs. On two occasions of the changing out the plugs and wires I noticed a crack in the same two spark plugs each time. A friend told me that this might be contributed by the coil pack, so I just decided to change all of them. After doing all that, the spudering has stopped and the stability track light is once again off.
Old August 26th, 2015, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrack

This is the second time this Stabilitrack happens to me. The first time I dind change the oil like i should blame me for that but i wasnt aware that chevrolet would burn that much oil. So it got a little low 1 1/2 quarts I add it a problem solve. This is not the case. Oil is good. I clean the Throtle Body that didn't help. Now The computer gave me the code P0449 Indicating the gas selenoid P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent, Anyone knows if this worl triger all those lights, or Im experiencing two diferent problem. Am about to let the dealer have it. But $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Hey will this cause engine power to reduce light to come on
Old September 2nd, 2015, 6:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Beverly Newsome
Hey will this cause engine power to reduce light to come on
A bad throttle body among other things.
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Silverado Z71 LT

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2011 Silverado last year and have been having problems for several months. I'm planning on taking it into the dealer with these notes. I bought the 100k extended warranty. I also have about another year to tell them I want my money back (GM certified one owner with 56k on it), which is just what I might end up doing because I'm so pissed off.

I've been getting the traction control and stabilitrack issues (no ABS) for several weeks, but it hasn't went into limp mode on me... yet.

My notes so far:

sounds like bad lifters and not exhaust leak
---lifter failure?

sounds like it fires late on shutdown (bwoof!)
---possible stuck valve(s)?
---lifter problems?

can hear pinging/clicks then clank clank clank (sounds like dragging a chain) almost exclusively when in AFM/V4 mode doing 20 to 45MPH
--gets worse with a little bit of demand on the throttle
--hear the brief pings/clicks sometimes in V8
---lifters or just trans solenoids?

transitioning in and out of AFM hits hard, clunk and kick when going to V4, rough kick when going back to V8
--gets slightly better after oil changes
--AFM has a hard time engaging (going into V4) after oil life is below 35% or so
---Why!?
---dirty plugs in the AFM cylinders?

somewhat laggy launch and trans shifting very hard through gears -- told the service dept. several months ago ("no codes" was the response)
--noticed shifting at higher RPM than before
--occasional 2.5-3k RPM between gears when getting into fast traffic
--"jumps" from P-R, P-D or R-D - driveline slack? feels more like trans itself
---TPS?
---IAC?
---MAF?
---whole throttle body?
---trans destroyed?

idling rough, shaky -- again, told the service dept. several months ago ("no codes" was the response)
--varies between 400-600RPM and shudders when in gear on brake at a red light
--in park, AM/FM antenna visibly wobbling
---engine oil pressure varies up and down constantly - more lifter problems? oil pump? oil pump screen?

woop woop woop 20MPH+
--sounds like a tire slapping the pavement - yes, it needs tires
--wheel bearing?

traction control off & service traction control -- stabilitrack off & service stabilitrack
--only see it when over about 85F outside temp
--turn engine off and on again, clears sometimes once, mostly 2-3 cycles, then eventually returns either immediately or after a few miles
---possibly related to the woop woop?
---misfires?
---TPS?
---engine braking and AFM issues?
---some other stupid sensor like wheel speed or steering position?

whole truck wobbles or shakes when doing 60PMH+, not dependent on road or wind conditions
--has done it since I got it, but has got worse - thought it was the soft bed cover just catching the wind.. nope.
---misfires/lifters?
---wheel bearing(s)?
---u-joins?
---maybe just tires?

cruise control sucks
--constantly goes over speed causing AFM to kick in upon deceleration and out again when it picks back up (reference hard AFM transitions)
---TPS?

A/C is not very cold, used to get unbearably cold
---maybe under charge? but I'm thinking not
---compressor and/or engine power problems?

radio seems to search for a CD randomly, can hear laser trying to track with no CD in
---very strange, possible electrical problems in the whole vehicle?

Bought it GM certified one-owner at 56k. I put 14k on it and have brought it in for regular maintenance when I was supposed to.
WTF is wrong with it? Is AFM destroying the engine and trans? No aftermarket junk added, I just drive it. 70k miles with all this is bull****.

Last edited by g007; September 12th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by g007
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2011 Silverado last year and have been having problems for several months. I'm planning on taking it into the dealer with these notes. I bought the 100k extended warranty. I also have about another year to tell them I want my money back (GM certified one owner with 56k on it), which is just what I might end up doing because I'm so pissed off.

I've been getting the traction control and stabilitrack issues (no ABS) for several weeks, but it hasn't went into limp mode on me... yet.

My notes so far:

sounds like bad lifters and not exhaust leak
---lifter failure?

sounds like it fires late on shutdown (bwoof!)
---possible stuck valve(s)?
---lifter problems?

can hear pinging/clicks then clank clank clank (sounds like dragging a chain) almost exclusively when in AFM/V4 mode doing 20 to 45MPH
--gets worse with a little bit of demand on the throttle
--hear the brief pings/clicks sometimes in V8
---lifters or just trans solenoids?

transitioning in and out of AFM hits hard, clunk and kick when going to V4, rough kick when going back to V8
--gets slightly better after oil changes
--AFM has a hard time engaging (going into V4) after oil life is below 35% or so
---Why!?
---dirty plugs in the AFM cylinders?

somewhat laggy launch and trans shifting very hard through gears -- told the service dept. several months ago ("no codes" was the response)
--noticed shifting at higher RPM than before
--occasional 2.5-3k RPM between gears when getting into fast traffic
--"jumps" from P-R, P-D or R-D - driveline slack? feels more like trans itself
---TPS?
---IAC?
---MAF?
---whole throttle body?
---trans destroyed?

idling rough, shaky -- again, told the service dept. several months ago ("no codes" was the response)
--varies between 400-600RPM and shudders when in gear on brake at a red light
--in park, AM/FM antenna visibly wobbling
---engine oil pressure varies up and down constantly - more lifter problems? oil pump? oil pump screen?

woop woop woop 20MPH+
--sounds like a tire slapping the pavement - yes, it needs tires
--wheel bearing?

traction control off & service traction control -- stabilitrack off & service stabilitrack
--only see it when over about 85F outside temp
--turn engine off and on again, clears sometimes once, mostly 2-3 cycles, then eventually returns either immediately or after a few miles
---possibly related to the woop woop?
---misfires?
---TPS?
---engine braking and AFM issues?
---some other stupid sensor like wheel speed or steering position?

whole truck wobbles or shakes when doing 60PMH+, not dependent on road or wind conditions
--has done it since I got it, but has got worse - thought it was the soft bed cover just catching the wind.. nope.
---misfires/lifters?
---wheel bearing(s)?
---u-joins?
---maybe just tires?

cruise control sucks
--constantly goes over speed causing AFM to kick in upon deceleration and out again when it picks back up (reference hard AFM transitions)
---TPS?

A/C is not very cold, used to get unbearably cold
---maybe under charge? but I'm thinking not
---compressor and/or engine power problems?

radio seems to search for a CD randomly, can hear laser trying to track with no CD in
---very strange, possible electrical problems in the whole vehicle?

Bought it GM certified one-owner at 56k. I put 14k on it and have brought it in for regular maintenance when I was supposed to.
WTF is wrong with it? Is AFM destroying the engine and trans? No aftermarket junk added, I just drive it. 70k miles with all this is bull****.
Hi g007,

We truly apologize for this as we can understand how frustrating this may seem for you! We would be more than happy to look into this more for you, and get in touch with the dealership.

Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 14th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like a fully integrated problem except for the radio. Perhaps your engine control module is off or you have a short somewhere. Did you check the P codes?

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control