Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Overhauled A/C system, and now a noise

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhauled A/C system, and now a noise

I have a 2000 suburban, 5.3 L motor, roughly 135,000 miles. I have an irritating noise coming from under the hood. I know it is the compressor or related to it. I can shut the switch off and the noise will go away. I turn it back on and the noise is back, I cycle it back and forth for a bit and after I drive for a bit it will eventually go away. I thought it was the new compressor, so I exchanged it for another one. It still does it. This is what I have done, new compressor and seals, new orifice tube(twice), new fan clutch. It holds pressure well and pressures run accurately with it cycling on and off. But it has a weird vibration noise at first start up until it has been run awhile. I am totally frustrated and ready to get rid of it after owning it since it was new. The only thing I have not done was change the accumulator, I probably should. My old compressor clutch quit working and the system was clean so I left the accumulator on. Any other ideas? Could it be too much freon in the system or not enough? I have at a loss of what to do next.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I have seen a bad serpentine belt cause noises. When the A/C is on there is more load on the belt and it could slip causing a noise. I bought a new serpentine belt from Autozone and it made noise until I replaced it. They sold me one too long!
Old September 17th, 2012, 6:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Does the serpentine belt drive the A/C or is it a separate V-belt?
Old September 17th, 2012, 6:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Does the serpentine belt drive the A/C or is it a separate V-belt?
It will be a v belt for the compressor.
Old September 17th, 2012, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

no it won't they're both serpentine belts but the a/c compressor has its own belt

i'd replace the ac belt and tensioner assembly if you haven't and are updating your a/c, the tensioners are known to have problems

as far as the noise without hearing it or knowing how exactly you did the jobs its hard to say, I would guess the belt/tensioner for starters
Old September 17th, 2012, 9:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Either replace the v belt on the ac compressor or spray it with a belt dressing for starters.
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If the AC belt is not new, it should be replaced as a place to start...
I believe there is a burnishing process for a new clutch if you did replace it..that process may need to be done also...
Old September 19th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tried burnishing

Belt and tensioner were both replaced, same time as compressor. I read up on the burnishing process. After I got home from work, I went to the garage and ran it through the process. Drove it around the block a couple times. No noise. I will drive it again tomorrow when it is cooled down again and see if it will make the noise. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate the input.