Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

high pitch noise from driver side dash, increases when accelerating

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitch noise from driver side dash, increases when accelerating

2008 Suburban LTZ
Every now and then I get a very high pitch buzz from under the driver side dash. When I accelerate the noise gets louder and higher pitched. If I smack the lower center dash (the part that has the change holder and cup holder) the noise stops. It's really frustrating. It's not a dvd or anything. Sounds electrical. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 17th, 2012, 1:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does it do it all the time with radio off, on?
Old September 17th, 2012, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

It doesn't do it all the time, but it has happened with radio on and off.
Old September 17th, 2012, 2:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok so it's not coming from a speaker. Increase in pitch with acceleration means it (whatever it is) is tracking the ignition. My "guess" is either a loose ground wire to cab, or if the ignition wireing is shielded, a ground issue on the shield.
Old September 17th, 2012, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Nope, not a speaker. Best guess is that it is something under the center console a foot below the radio. At least that's where I hit and it stops (until I start the car again, when it's happening). That's the other weird thing...it only happens once per car ride.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mpunt
2008 Suburban LTZ
Every now and then I get a very high pitch buzz from under the driver side dash. When I accelerate the noise gets louder and higher pitched. If I smack the lower center dash (the part that has the change holder and cup holder) the noise stops. It's really frustrating. It's not a dvd or anything. Sounds electrical. Any help would be appreciated.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mpunt,

I agree with "kevinkpk", sounds like a ground wire issue. I encourage to you consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 20th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you!!!