Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Replacing In-Tank Fuel Pump with External

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 2:36 PM
TPM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing In-Tank Fuel Pump with External

I thought I saw a write up on how to switch from the in-tank fuel pump to an external pump. Anyone know how to find that info?

Any one know of a product or kit to use in place of the in-tank pump.

On my 3rd one and not happy to do it again.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:45 PM
CF Active Member

I dont have any instructions but if you have to put one in the tank. I would sudjest getting the proper one from the gm dealer not a aftermarket one. This is one of the only parts i would buy from the dealer.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

same thing get a ac delco and you should be fine. I have found after market ones dont last long. you could use a inline marine fuel pump.
Old April 19th, 2010, 5:03 PM
TPM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

I did get an AC Delco - the first time, second time and 3rd time. All lasted about 80-90,000 mile.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM
CF Active Member

That sucks, but it seems that on the 96 - 99 thats about all you get out of them. most of them I have replaced and seen replaced was in the miles. not sure why on the 350 and 454 for those years. the 5.3L seem to last longer.
Old April 20th, 2010, 8:18 AM
CF Active Member

DId you make sure to replace the sock mesh filter on it too? It's weird that you had to replace so many delcos.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Reasons behind having to replace theses pumps is the same reason y the 89-96 f150 had some many problems. the pump in the tank is lubricated by the fuel in the tank when the tank is run below a 1/4 then the pump is lubricated or cooled properly causing the pump to heat up. over time this can cause premature failure.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:15 AM
TPM
CF Beginner

Default Noticed the Pump sits high

In my BMW the in-tank pump sits in a sump and it seems to keep the pump covered with fuel even when the guage reads almost empty.

The pump in the Suburban seems to sit high- at least 6 inches to the top of the pump up from the bottom, has no sump and only has a baffle in front of it and at one side. I would agree that after 1/4 tank the pump is getting prematurely exposed.

Since I run 500 + mile trips and avoid fueling up until I get to the end because of the higher prices along the interstate, I am routinely running 100- 150 miles at least with less than 1/4 tank.

What is the sense of having 40 galons if you can only use 30 before you need to fuel up or run the risk of taking life off the pump.

I know I read a write up on how to convert to an external pump and there was a product name that had a kit for the whole conversion. When I find it I'll share it here.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I am with you...I replaced my Fuel pump (had the dealership replace it with a Delco) 15 months agao (9,500 miles ago) and mine is already acting stupid. I am tarting to think this is going to be my last GM product. The Hoe has given me more problems then any other vehicle I have ever owned...even my 89 Jag had less problems!
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

8 months of running on empty wiped out my dealer installed AC Delco. I'm not happy and I'm considering whether to cut a hole in the floor or go with an inline pump.

If I go with the inline, do I need to take the existing dead one out of the tank?

Quick Reply: Replacing In-Tank Fuel Pump with External