Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

Thanks aznsoda and ZX1100F1... I'm going to see if my warranty will take care of it - if not I did check my insurance and I have $0 deductible for glass. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all.
Old December 28th, 2007, 4:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Just out of curiousity what was the temperature outside when it cracked? I had a 98 mustang when i was sixteen and it really wasn't too hot outside but i guess the temp change caused the windsheild to break!I left all the windows up and the inside of the car was hot. Just a thought
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened to us my husband was driving our silverado and all of a sudden the windshield cracked just above the wipers from end to end. That was a week and a half ago. Then this morning same thing happens to our malibu. Way too much of a coincidence, will be taking this up with dealership
Old February 28th, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Active Member

Bought my Tahoe March of '06...Had it parked in the garage for over a week while at the beach. Once home, walked in the garage, and found a cracked windshield. Didn't bother going to dealer, just had Nationwide Insurance put in a new one. "$0" deductable.
Old March 6th, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I just had a similar semicircular crack pattern on my 2006 Trailblazer. The car is in the shop now getting repaired. When it happened, it was extremely cold and the defrosters were on high. The only difference that I can see is that there is something that resembles an impact point that lies right on the crack itself. The one thing that I don't understand is why there are no smaller cracks centered at this "impact point" in directions other that along the crack itself (ie no spidercrack pattern). When the crack happened, there was no one in front of me and there was nothing above me that could have hit the windsheild. Does anyone know if it is possible for a windshield to buckle in such a way that it appears that something hit even though nothing did due to the heat from the defrosters? Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default ditto

Originally Posted by cocodrie55
I parked my 2007 in the driveway and when I came out about an hour later the windshield was cracked starting from under the windshield wiper on the passengers side up about 15". Glass had spalled out of an elongated area abut 1/2 in long near the beginning of the crack. Nothing hit the windshield, I believe this was a spontaneous crack, maybe caused by a flaw in the windshield. Has anyone else had this happen on an 07?
I just had the exact thing happen on my 2008 suburban in the exact same place on the windshild. And the same situation - it was just sitting in my driveway grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And I can trace the crack from a chip right under the wiper blade. And it is a hassel gettng a windshield replaced with all the stuff they attach to them now.

Since my 2006 model and I now have a 2008 I've been wanting to accuse GM of installing inferior windshield glass on the suburbans. I've had 4 surburbans going back to 1999 and all GM products prior to that and before the 2006 model NEVER had any problem with windshield glass. My 2006 looked like a target range by the time I got rid of it from the throw up from the highway chips. And my relatively new 2008 has a couple previous ones also. Now this HUGE crack above the chip.

I'm still wanting to accuse GM of having a known but unadmitted problem with this glass. It is too much of a cooincidence that I've gone for years and years with no windshield problems and now since 2006 have a multitude of them.

I'm done venting. Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2009, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

I just got my 2009 Suburban and saw the rock come bouncing off the road and hit me in the windshield.

First, I was shocked to see it actually left a mark and then was really shocked to come out after work (underground parking garage) and see a foot long crack had already occurred. Watched the glass repair and sweated the entire time I watched the man rake his tools across the seams and take the "jack hammer drill" to separate the bottom seam.

All is well now, but had a 2001 Suburban that I thought stood the glass test much better than my 2009 did.
Old September 30th, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

09/30/14 Just had something similar on my 2011 Chevy Impala. The crack is under the passenger wiper arm tip. I believe it is a stress crack that appears to come from a rubber tip (I assume it's rubber) under the windshield at that point. I have a similar hairline crack in the rear which is not really noticable, and only goes thru the interior layer of the glass.
Old October 1st, 2014, 4:43 AM
CF Beginner

are you sure your son wasn't jumping the train tracks last night?

really sure?