Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Viper 5902 Antenna Placement on 2007 Tahoe LTZ

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5902 Antenna Placement on 2007 Tahoe LTZ

Hi Guys,

The very last step of my install is to actually stick the 2-way antenna of my Viper 5902 to my windshield. I've heard that tinting can mess with the signal and also that you want it as high up as possible. People suggest high up behind your rear-view mirror, but in my LTZ, there is some stock tinting around the rear-view mirror area and there are also some modules placed there.

In short, can anyone upload some photos of how they have their antennas placed and what type of range they get on their system. I would entertain lengthening the stock antenna to brain cable so I could place this on a rear side window, but would rather keep things simple. A picture is the easiest thing to copy

Any links to other posts/site with pictures of this in a 07 or similar layout Tahoe would help as well.
Old April 28th, 2011, 3:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think that only if the tint is metalized that it would cause a problem....
Old April 29th, 2011, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I would think that only if the tint is metalized that it would cause a problem....
Thanks for the input... One minor related question. The LED built into the Valet Button/Antenna module constantly blinks even when alarm is not armed and I'm driving around. It's pretty bright, so just wondering if there is a way to have it only flash when the alarm is armed. I realize that I could bypass the ground cable for the light and wire it to my "ground when armed" wire, but just wondering if there's more of a setting/dip switch to resolve this.
Old April 29th, 2011, 6:54 PM
e
CF Senior Member

If your led is blinking, you have something not wired correctly. Is it a constant flash, or a series of flashes? Report back on the flashing. THE LED SHOULD NOT FLASH WHEN DISARMED, UNDER NORMAL ARM/DISARM.... Again report what the led does after disarming, and starting the truck.

I have my antenna mounted to the little black cover that hides the wiring behind the mirror. My range seems fine. I don't think it works the mile like it states, which I don't believe any alarm works as far as they state, but hell that's what the iPhone SmartStart is for. I know for sure I have been a half mile away from my truck and it has worked but it took a couple of try's. I used to put them on the glass but it never fails, once someone has their windshield replaced, that's when I get range problems returns at the shop for poor arming and disarming. The window guys pull on the harness or boxes to hard and these little guys are sensitive. If fact so much so as I do not recommend you balling up any slack in the cable, it can actually cause interference. I'm not sure how it would react by extending the wires to the back, never tried it. Plus it would make programming or disarming, or anything else on the fly a pain in the ***. Yes I know you have a bit writer, and the key fob can do something's but there are a few things you need the valet button for. G/L and let me know about the LED. something is wrong
Old April 30th, 2011, 3:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by e
If your led is blinking, you have something not wired correctly. Is it a constant flash, or a series of flashes? Report back on the flashing. THE LED SHOULD NOT FLASH WHEN DISARMED, UNDER NORMAL ARM/DISARM.... Again report what the led does after disarming, and starting the truck.

I have my antenna mounted to the little black cover that hides the wiring behind the mirror. My range seems fine. I don't think it works the mile like it states, which I don't believe any alarm works as far as they state, but hell that's what the iPhone SmartStart is for. I know for sure I have been a half mile away from my truck and it has worked but it took a couple of try's. I used to put them on the glass but it never fails, once someone has their windshield replaced, that's when I get range problems returns at the shop for poor arming and disarming. The window guys pull on the harness or boxes to hard and these little guys are sensitive. If fact so much so as I do not recommend you balling up any slack in the cable, it can actually cause interference. I'm not sure how it would react by extending the wires to the back, never tried it. Plus it would make programming or disarming, or anything else on the fly a pain in the ***. Yes I know you have a bit writer, and the key fob can do something's but there are a few things you need the valet button for. G/L and let me know about the LED. something is wrong
Thanks E. Well, flashes like this... 3 flashes (2 second pause) 2 flashes... it does this over and over. My Valet is just wired in using the out of the box harness (I didn't do anything custom with it). Its a black wire with a green harness that plugs into the brain and the other end plugs into the Valet light. Other than the light flashing (constantly since you asked), the alarm functions normally. When I arm the alarm, I will get alert if I have any doors open etc, or that my prox sensor is active. I get correct alerts for warn-away or full triggering, and the alarm sirens act normally too, so I can't think of anything that might be wrong. I do figure that the light flashing is wrong. Not sure if it's because I have not set the Valet switch (number of pushes etc) yet, changing it from default etc, but that was my only idea. Again, I know I could splice and make it only go on when armed like the Viper luminescent light pad I also installed, but since it's plugged in per instructions using out of the box harness, just trying to confirm there's nothing wrong, and that there's something that can be turned off or fixed in settings.

P.S. As far as the other harnesses of the 5902, I'm only using the main harness, the on/off safety switch, the MUX port, valet console cable, D2D cable, and I have the BitWriter cable plugged in and run to a secret location where I can access it for future writing. Perhaps the brain is sensing that cable and the LEDs are because the unit is in programming mode? I wouldn't think so since the BW is not plugged in on the other end of this cable, but perhaps...

Last edited by interotony; April 30th, 2011 at 6:58 AM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 9:56 AM
e
CF Senior Member

Your system is not seeing the ignition input.

Basically this is what is happening. Whenever there is a trigger, the unit will flash the led in the order of the zone that was triggered after you disarm the system. In your case it's zone three and two. After you turn on the ignition the system should clear the codes and this will stop the reporting on the led.

Am I correct to assume when you disarm your system, the siren is giving more than the normal two chirps?

The d2d might not be giving the correct ignition source to the alarm brain. You will need to make sure the 5902 sees the ignition from the truck to stop this little led problem. If you don't, the unit will evently bypass these zones from triggering after arming....

Connect harness h3-1 pink to the pink wire at the BCM lt green plug pin 14. Problem solved.....

Last edited by e; April 30th, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by e
Your system is not seeing the ignition input.

Basically this is what is happening. Whenever there is a trigger, the unit will flash the led in the order of the zone that was triggered after you disarm the system. In your case it's zone three and two. After you turn on the ignition the system should clear the codes and this will stop the reporting on the led.

Am I correct to assume when you disarm your system, the siren is giving more than the normal two chirps?

The d2d might not be giving the correct ignition source to the alarm brain. You will need to make sure the 5902 sees the ignition from the truck to stop this little led problem. If you don't, the unit will evently bypass these zones from triggering after arming....

Connect harness h3-1 pink to the pink wire at the BCM lt green plug pin 14. Problem solved.....
e. thanks so much. I added the H3 harness with the pink wire only (all other wires de-pinned from the harness and still not using H2 harness at all), tapping it in to the IGN on the BCM harness and this has resolved the issue. I put two and two together, recalling that when I was installing my Prox sensor, I tried the green and violet trigger wires before realizing that I would need to use the MUX port for warn-away tiggering. I'm guessing since I never had this cable in place, the brain never knew that the car was on thus those triggers never cleared. Armed and re-armed several times now with re-occurrence of that triggering or LED flashes (when not armed), so everything looks good.

As to your comment about the brain ignoring the sensor after a while, I have noticed that even if I set my shock sensor to level 15 using the Bitwriter, it's still very tough to get it to go off (I'm trying to shake the car heavily, and throw myself into the body where it's strong... even tried just rattling the brain while I had my speedometer out to access the brain. I seem to recall when I first installing it, just a little shake of the brain would set it off... Does something have to be reset? I have Nuisance Prevention off (using the bitwriter). Not sure what the Zap function does so wondering if that is like a factory reset, and whether that's whats needed here...

I happy already as I really installed the 5902 for door/hood triggers, prox, glass break, and tilt sensors which are all working fine.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by interotony; May 1st, 2011 at 1:59 PM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

e, are you out there?