Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Advice needed: Dreaded Antenna leak on 5 day old 2015i LTZ. Temp fix?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: Dreaded Antenna leak on 5 day old 2015i LTZ. Temp fix?

So the honeymoon period is over. I have had the 2015i LTZ for a week now and two pretty big issues one wouldn't expect from any high end vehicle. I have a Volt and GM treated me very well in that car (Volt advisors rock!). Hoping they do the same here:

Two issues:
1) Rough idle - looks like it can be fixed with engine shim fix (scheduled for Tuesday)
2) More serious - rained yesterday and now I have a water stain above driver visor. So I guess I have the dreaded antenna leak?

I'm amazed given this was such a common issue that a Feb15 built truck wouldn't have this fixed???

Here is a pic of my antenna - I noticed a gap in the rubber seal where water could easily enter. Fortunately I turned up the heat in car and within 20 minutes it was dried out without a stain.

Is there any sort of temp fix I can apply - given long weekend dealer can't take me until Tuesday. Don't want anymore rain in there messing with electronics.

I'm pretty freaked out about having the headliner ripped out etc. Why do these antennas leak? Is it the rubber gasket?

GM: If you are listening - Love everything about this truck but these are bush league issues. GM you have to do better than this on high end product.

ANy tips would be appreciated to get through next few days.
Attached Thumbnails Advice needed: Dreaded Antenna leak on 5 day old  2015i LTZ. Temp fix?-wp_20150403_004.jpg   Advice needed: Dreaded Antenna leak on 5 day old  2015i LTZ. Temp fix?-wp_20150403_003.jpg  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 8:31 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You could use some plumbers putty and pack it around the antenna base for a temporary fix.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Great idea!

Anybody have this properly fixed by dealer? In reading other forums, it appears even after antenna replacement, the gap in seal remains. So I assume that gap is intentional and there must be another layer of seals inside the housing.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

my 04 grand prix had this leak. I remove the cellular antenna and applied some rtv sealant to the gasket. it fixed it.

for your truck, the roof liner does not have to come out, just lowered.
Old April 4th, 2015, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Temp leak fix

I recently used a clear silicone caulk for something at the house. It goes on white, but becomes completely clear as it cures. If you put it on neatly, it should be hardly noticeable after a couple of days.
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have 2015 LTZ also and I had a bad leak last night also

I am having the same issue, but when I took my headliner down, I realized that the water is coming from the moon roof drain on the driver side. The is a hose on the passenger side, but none on the driver side so the rain water is just pouring in around the overhead light fixture and all down the driver side running down by the fuse box and accumulating under the floor board. Hopefully that's the only place it's leaking from.