Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

bleeding uplander brakes

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding uplander brakes

put in new spring in 07 uplander, had to disconnect the brake line at the caliper. I tried to bleed with the pedal but still have a spongy feel. I am going to make a pressure kit. any advice. I don't think air got in the modulator as i kept the res filled. will a standard odb2 be able to activate the abs or is that anther tool? a
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

I just bled my 08 Montana brakes on May 21, all 4 corners using gravity method. The sequence was rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger then front driver last.

It would have taken longer than yours but the brake pedal feels fine.

I hope this helps.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

How did you bleed the brakes? What method did you use?
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

I studied YouTube videos and various automotive forums for one-man or gravity bleeding method before giving it a try. To briefly describe this method:

- I had an empty bottle and 2' of clear tube.
- Jacked the van up on jackstands - be safe.
- Sucked out the brake reservoir under the hood. Dumped that fluid in the bottle. Filled the reservoid with clean fluid.
- Removed the wheels. Started bleeding with the sequence I described in my other post.
- Kept one end of the clear tubing in the bottle, made sure it was submerged in the used fluid.
- Cracked the bleeder screw, insert the other end of the tubing on the nibble, loosen the crew just enough but not too much and you should see the fluid dripping out. Keep refilling the reservoir with clean fluid.
- All the caution above was to not letting air sucked back in via the tubing or the crew.
- You may see layers of dirty fluid and clean fluid in the bottle or you can keep track of how much you have refilled then stopped. Tighten the bleer crew then move on to the next.

The idea of bleeding sequence is to push out the air bubbles that may have been in the system out to the furthest line.

The OP may have introduced air into the system by letting go of the pedal and therefore sucking air in through the tubing. Since clean fluid has been used recently, it may not easy to see in the bottle. Someone can watch the tubing if any air bubbles going out.