Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Vibration from rear brakes after replacing caliper

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2015, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration from rear brakes after replacing caliper

I replaced the brake pads and rotors on my 2008 Uplander last weekend. I wish I would have read here first about the screw in rear calipers, I replaced them both thinking they were both siezed.

Now I have a brake fluid leak from the passenger side. I checked the bolt holding in the brake line in the caliper and the bleeder screw. Both were fine, but the caliper came with a new bolt so I replaced that. Now after I have been driving a while I hear a noise coming from the rear. I feel this is brake fluid on the brake pad. Do I need to replace the pads now? Also where do I look for the leak?
Old May 1st, 2015, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Vibration from rear brakes after replacing caliper-R

Check to see if the all the brake pads are still there. I have seen them slip out before (2001 Chevy Blazer-Rear Passenger) and the caliper cylinder pushed all the way out tearing the rubber inside, causing leak. Another thing to check is your emergency brake pads if it's in the rear.

I would replace the pads. Hopefully you bought them with at least a limited life-time warranty.

Good luck!
Old May 1st, 2015, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

wash the pads off with brake cleaner. place a coarse grit sandpaper sheet on a workbench and put the pads flat on the sheet. scrub the pad on the sheet to deglazed the pad. wash it off again.

be aware the rear pads for this vehicle has been updated to stop brake squeal. the new design pad has chamfered edges.

Do not feel bad about the calipers. that design does seize up frequently...now you don't have to worry about it.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Well I replaced the brake pads since they were under warranty and it's still doing it. I can drive a while without a noise, but once the brakes warm up, I get a noise from the rear end when I have the pedal posed down about half way. Push hard and it goes away. Could thus just be the pads breaking in? I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner before I put the new pads on. I appreciate the responses. Thanks for the tips
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

what brand of brake pad?
Old May 4th, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Brake best semi metallic.
Old May 4th, 2015, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Noise

Still sounds like something with the calipers. Here's a stupid question... since you replaced the calipers, thereby opening the lines, did you bleed the system. If so, follow the brake lines to inspect for a crack in the line somewhere. If there is and you're driving, you should notice a lot of brake fluid mess. If, that is, your brake res. still contains fluid.
Old May 5th, 2015, 8:28 AM
Super Moderator

if your complaint is intermittent brake squeak that only occurs during a light brake application; its probably the pad design. That is why there is an undated version. organic pads although not the best performance product, are quieter and have a nicer pedal feel.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

I finally narrowed down the problem. I didn't realize that I needed the special $12 caliper tool to compress the piston. I noticed when I took the pads back off that the rivets in the brake pads didn't line up in the grooves on the piston. I rotated each side 1\4 turn with the tool and that solved it.

Kyle