Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

No Ignition on a 2002 Venture

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Ignition on a 2002 Venture

I'm at a loss. My 2002 Venture LS will not start. Engine Cranks over just fine, but no longer will produce a spark. At first it was an intermittant problem, now it won't at all. It is not misfiring, it is not firing at all, just sits there and cranks over. Fuel pump works and plenty of fuel fumes coming from exhaust. I have checked everything I can think of. Here is the run down.

Ignition Relay on Eng Comp Fuse block checks out and has been replaced when it was an intermittent problem.

All Fuses in both fuse blocks are good.

I have 12v going to Ignition Module, and both leads check good for continuity.

Pulled a plug and there is no spark.

All three coil packs check good ohms wise, primary and secondary side. (Can't imagine all three going to bad at once anyway, nor can I buy all 6 plugs and wire going bad at once)

7x Crankshaft position sensor produces upwards of 500mV (200mV min according to manual) when engine is cranked over.

24x Crankshaft position sensor receives 12v from PCM, and 10v of sensor wire, and drops off correctly when crankshaft is manually turned.

Ignition Module has no trigger signal from any of the coil pack terminals. Took module to Autozone twice and both times the Ignition Module bench checked good. Replaced the module with a new one anyway. Still won't start.

Camshaft Position Sensor receiving 12v from PCM, but only showed 60mV on sensor wire, with no change when rotated. (Manual says it should have 10v on Sensor wire with a drop off once every rotation). Replaced Camshaft Position Sensor. Engine still will not start and new sensor checks out the same as the old one.

Using a wiring diagram for a 2002 Venture, I spent today checking power and continuity on every imaginable wire from fuse blocks to the PCM, Sensors to PCM and Ignition switch to fuses. Everyone I could see that is related to ignition checks good.

I am starting lean in the direction that the PCM has died. When I hook my Actron Scanner to the OBD connector, there are not codes stored nor are there any pending codes. Some of the checks I performed were supposed to have triggered a code in the system, but there are no codes to be found in the system.

Before I either spend the money on a new PCM or send it out to be tested (Dealer doesn't have the capability to bench check a PCM, they want the whole vehicle brought in), I figured I would check here to see if anyone or a professional technician has any ideas.

Thanks in advance.<O</O