Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevy Truck, SUV & Vans > Venture
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Steering Wheel Locked-- Key won't turn

Here the scoop, not sure what exactly happened but my van was in drive but I was not moving, I went to go and turn the wheels to the left my girlfriend decided she didn't want to leave so she turned off the van but couldn't remove the key so she slammed the shifter up (not sure if it made it to park) and she pulled the key out.

So the steering wheel is locked, I think it is in park but I cannot get the ignition to turned at all. I have tried moving the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key, also tried spare key but nothing

Is there a way to unlock the steering???
Thank you
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Last edited by FlyinLow; 02-18-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

sounds like the steering wheel lock is engaged. Pull very hard one way and try to turn the key, if it doesn't work, try puliing very hard the other way while turning the key.

Get us the year of the van and we can help you a little further if need be.

If you have a question, ask it in the forums. I will no longer be answering questions sent to my email.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to Tommy Send a message via MSN to Tommy Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy

Also Try to force shifter up all the way even if it appears to be in park while jerking steering wheel and turn ignition its just jammed up this is going to be one of those things where your just playing around with it untill it comes un done
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 AM

Tags
2008, beretta, chevrolet, chevy, cobalt, corsica, fix, ford, gt, ignition, key, locked, probe, steering, unlock, wheel