Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1988 C1500 Air Conditioning Kit

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2019, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 C1500 Air Conditioning Kit

Hello
I just acquired a 1988 Regular Cab C1500 Stepside 305 5 Speed with no A/C. Engine is very strong and the body is in pretty good shape. Just have to replace the 2 fenders and the rockers
Can't say that much for the under carriage which is pretty rusty being that I found it in Canada. The truck came with a fairly new exhaust system and all new brakes & brake lines as well. Just got done replacing all the fuel lines including the fuel, pump, filter and gas tank after a fuel line ruptured.

Now I'm debating how far I want to go with this rebuild. I'm definitely going to repaint it the original black and do all the body work. The interior is also in very good shape because the last owner put seat covers on the original seats. Needs new headliner and some work on the dash and maybe the carpet.

My question is does anybody know of a kit (or combination of kits of some sort) that would let me add A/C to this truck so that it looks factory, or something close. Trying to set a budget on how much more to invest into this vehicle.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Carlo
Old May 5th, 2019, 5:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo Caruso
Hello
I just acquired a 1988 Regular Cab C1500 Stepside 305 5 Speed with no A/C. Engine is very strong and the body is in pretty good shape. Just have to replace the 2 fenders and the rockers
Can't say that much for the under carriage which is pretty rusty being that I found it in Canada. The truck came with a fairly new exhaust system and all new brakes & brake lines as well. Just got done replacing all the fuel lines including the fuel, pump, filter and gas tank after a fuel line ruptured.

Now I'm debating how far I want to go with this rebuild. I'm definitely going to repaint it the original black and do all the body work. The interior is also in very good shape because the last owner put seat covers on the original seats. Needs new headliner and some work on the dash and maybe the carpet.

My question is does anybody know of a kit (or combination of kits of some sort) that would let me add A/C to this truck so that it looks factory, or something close. Trying to set a budget on how much more to invest into this vehicle.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Carlo

It won't be cheap, but if you have the money it can be done although the ECM might need to be flashed (not sure about that).

JeepAir.com does sell an A/C conversion kits for $1100 USD, but you don't have a Jeep, and I couldn't find one for a Chevrolet

Some of the issues you will encounter will be:

1. Need a new serpentine belt for the new A/C compressor, but that's fairly easy. Just look up the belt for your C-1500 with A/C.

2. You will have to rip the dash apart to install the evaporator and the new dash controls.

3. You will have to drill out the firewall to run the A/C lines into the cab with grommets to keep the engine bay air out and the lines from
rubbing on the firewall. The stock A/C lines were R-12 freon connectors, so you'll have to buy a high & low side conversion fittings to use R-134A
but that's cheap and easy to do.

4. Need to mount the receiver/dryer/accumulator on the right side (passenger)

5. Need to install a new condenser in front of the radiator, and route the lines to it, of course

6. You will likely need lots of smaller parts like relays, sensors, brackets to mount the various components, like the condenser, evaporator, ect.

Probably missing something here but that's pretty close to what it will take to add A/C to your 88 C-1500. Lots of work to be had here for sure.

Edit: I did find this A/C kit for an 1988 Chevy C-1500 on eBay, but it looks like it's a new compressor conversion to an existing A/C system, using R-134A
designed parts including most of what you need. You will still need to pull the dash for the A/C controls and the evaporator, however, but this might be the best
way to add A/C to your 88' Chevy C-1500! .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/88-90-CHEVY...a9a~w#shpCntId

I disagree with their claim that the R-4 A/C compressor was faulty, My father had an 1988 C-2500, and it worked just fine.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; May 5th, 2019 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Add additional information to post
Old May 6th, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Henry.

It seems there are a few of these generic kits out there that most likely can be made to work.

Here's one that I came across earlier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...xoCWEAQAvD_BwE

Think I'll give each of these guys a call and see if they have any idea of what I'd be getting myself into here. I'm thinking the biggest challenge is going to be at the blower behind the dash and going into the firewall and getting that all to seal up correctly and then function properly. the rest should be pretty straight forward.

Plan B would be to find one with factory air in a junkyard and just strip all the parts.