Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1990 Silverado 1500 5.7l Idles but will stall when I hit the gas

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2022, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, Update.

I've now replaced:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Throttle Position Sensor
Spark Plugs (not wires yet)
Rebuilt throttle body
Distributor

I started the truck and it started ran for a bit (rough) and adjusted the timing a bit. then it started running rough again.

So here's what I did and I can't figure out what's going on. I connected my timing light to each plug wire to see if it was getting spark on each wire. my 2,4,6 and 8 wires were getting consistent spark while my 1,3,5 and 7 wires were getting intermittent spark. Is that the timing? or is it something else? I thought it was strange that one side was fine, while the other wasn't

Old October 19th, 2022, 7:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Lots of possibilities why you’d be seeing the difference between banks.

Is the spark control circuit unplugged while you’re checking it?

Is the timing light probe positioned at the plugs or the distributor? If it’s at the plugs, it’s possible the wires are grounding out.

Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Are you sure you didn’t mistakenly installed the distributor a tooth off and/or 180 degrees out?
Old October 20th, 2022, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Lots of possibilities why you’d be seeing the difference between banks.

Is the spark control circuit unplugged while you’re checking it?

Is the timing light probe positioned at the plugs or the distributor? If it’s at the plugs, it’s possible the wires are grounding out.

Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Are you sure you didn’t mistakenly installed the distributor a tooth off and/or 180 degrees out?
No I havent unplugged the spark control circuit. I unplugged the Automatic timing.

I've checked the plug wires and they are not grounding out anyhwere.

I think it is entirely possible the distributor is a tooth off. any tips on getting it lined up correctly once it's off like this?

Old October 22nd, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by pastorjared
No I havent unplugged the spark control circuit. I unplugged the Automatic timing.

I've checked the plug wires and they are not grounding out anyhwere.

I think it is entirely possible the distributor is a tooth off. any tips on getting it lined up correctly once it's off like this?
1) We’re probably referencing the same thing, but for clarification, what are you calling the automatic timing?

2) The primary challenge (for me anyway) is getting the oil pump driveshaft lined up. What I’ve learned to do is to slightly advance the pump shaft with a long screwdriver and once the distributor is initially meshed with the cam gear, rotate the engine using the crankshaft bolt and the distributor will drop in place once it’s lined up, then I’ll back it up to TDC and double check the rotor alignment. All the plugs have to be removed to do it this way but it works.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Here’s a pic of the spark control circuit connector location (courtesy of a previous thread). As long as this is disconnected the spark timing is only adjustable by rotating the distributor.

ECM spark control circuit connector circled in red
Old October 22nd, 2022, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Here’s a pic of the spark control circuit connector location (courtesy of a previous thread). As long as this is disconnected the spark timing is only adjustable by rotating the distributor.

ECM spark control circuit connector circled in red
oh yes, that’s unplugged
Old October 27th, 2022, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pastorjared
oh yes, that’s unplugged
ok, so after changing:
Spark Plugs
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Throttle position sensor
Distributor
Rebuilt the throttle body
O2 sensor

It ended up being a bad Ignition coil. apparently, it wasn't giving enough spark to give the distributor enough juice to work properly.

It was also the next thing I was going to replace but thought "No it can't be that if I'm getting spark!"

So I took it to a mechanic, and he hooked it up to the computer and replaced the coil. The timing was off just a little bit, but now it runs like a champ!

thank you guys for all your help!
Old October 29th, 2022, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Good to hear you got it figured out, but I am curious how your mechanic figured out it was the ignition coil by using a scanner.

OBD 1 systems (pre-1996) are very basic and primarily control/monitor emissions components. Codes can be pulled and a certain amount of live data can be read, but it doesn’t have any capabilities to monitor the ignition coil. Even modern systems can only monitor the primary circuits.
Old October 29th, 2022, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Good to hear you got it figured out, but I am curious how your mechanic figured out it was the ignition coil by using a scanner.

OBD 1 systems (pre-1996) are very basic and primarily control/monitor emissions components. Codes can be pulled and a certain amount of live data can be read, but it doesn’t have any capabilities to monitor the ignition coil. Even modern systems can only monitor the primary circuits.
That’s a great question that I have no answer for. He initially thought it was the computer because his system wasn’t connecting to the truck. He had to get a different system so the computer would actually read. I didn’t ask him what codes came up.