1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1993 K1500 No Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2021 | 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1993 K1500 No Overdrive

G'Day Gents!

Over the summer, the overdrive in my '93 K1500 (5.7) would frequently disengage, then engage, then repeat. It grew progressively worse until, a couple weeks ago, it completely stopped going into overdrive.

The other day I replaced the TCC Solenoid when I changed my fluid & filter. But I still have no overdrive.

Where do I go from here? Any usual culprits? Is there anything vacuum-related that could do this? I ask because my cruise control doesn't work either.

Full disclosure: I use this truck primarily to plow snow and haul building materials, so the overdrive is not super important to me. But I'd like to have it working if I can.

Thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
ravenwolf69 (December 1st, 2021)
Old December 1st, 2021 | 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doc Hicks
G'Day Gents!

Over the summer, the overdrive in my '93 K1500 (5.7) would frequently disengage, then engage, then repeat. It grew progressively worse until, a couple weeks ago, it completely stopped going into overdrive.

The other day I replaced the TCC Solenoid when I changed my fluid & filter. But I still have no overdrive.

Where do I go from here? Any usual culprits? Is there anything vacuum-related that could do this? I ask because my cruise control doesn't work either.

Full disclosure: I use this truck primarily to plow snow and haul building materials, so the overdrive is not super important to me. But I'd like to have it working if I can.

Thanks so much!
What trans does it have? Also is there fluid leaking were shift actuator is? More than likely it's either the solenoid which if I remember has two or the computer. I would advise against wiring it up for manual shift. Mine never had overdrive and after wiring it manual it sounded like it was about to fly apart. After putting it back reverse went out shortly. I have another 80 but refuse to put it in and find out it's no better. So I'm putting in an NV4500, problem solved. Since it's 4x4 too much work involved only to find out the other is junk as well. Good luck.
Old December 1st, 2021 | 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ravenwolf69
What trans does it have? Also is there fluid leaking were shift actuator is? More than likely it's either the solenoid which if I remember has two or the computer. I would advise against wiring it up for manual shift. Mine never had overdrive and after wiring it manual it sounded like it was about to fly apart. After putting it back reverse went out shortly. I have another 80 but refuse to put it in and find out it's no better. So I'm putting in an NV4500, problem solved. Since it's 4x4 too much work involved only to find out the other is junk as well. Good luck.
It's the 4L60E transmission. No leaks. Other than not shifting into overdrive, if operates perfectly.
ravenwolf69 (December 2nd, 2021)
Old December 1st, 2021 | 10:23 AM
CF Active Member

Could it be something electrical? Like maybe in the shift linkage? I have a 98, so admitadly different, but it has the normal cable that runs down to the transmission, but on the side of the transmission, where that cable connects, it has a rotory switch of some sort? Maybe you have a bad connection and the transmission thinks its in 3rd gear? Just a thought.
Old December 1st, 2021 | 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
Could it be something electrical? Like maybe in the shift linkage? I have a 98, so admitadly different, but it has the normal cable that runs down to the transmission, but on the side of the transmission, where that cable connects, it has a rotory switch of some sort? Maybe you have a bad connection and the transmission thinks its in 3rd gear? Just a thought.
I'll check that out. Thank you!