Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1994 chevy k1500 front passenger side axle shaft/cv axle play

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 chevy k1500 front passenger side axle shaft/cv axle play

Im 100% positive my c/v axle is shot on my passenger side, but where the c/v axle connects to the actual axle shaft that runs to my front diff, i can put my hand on that connection and slide the axle shaft in and out about 2 inches. so i guess what my question is, by replacing the bad c/v axle will that fix the play in the axle shaft or is there something else that holds that axle in place?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 1:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the axle shaft slides out of the tube then no replacing the cv won't fix it. If it hasn't already, your 4x4 will stop working.

Their's a circlip on the axle shaft that's prone to fail. Once it fails and the axle shaft is free to slide out, a shim in between the gears that engage the 4x4 will drop. When it drops the clutch gear can't engage.

It's a pretty easy fix, drop the tube/actuator assembly, replace the circlip and shim.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 1:22 PM
CF Active Member

Name:  8_25frontaxlegm_lg.jpg
Views: 22223
Size:  168.3 KB

The snap ring 9 (what I called a circlip) sits in a groove on the spline end of the axle. Shim 20 winds up sitting on the axle "nipple" . Once the axle is free to slide out, it drops in between the gears.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much!!! you are right my 4x4 quit working around the time i noticed the play. I'm going to open her up after work and take a look! thanks again this was my first post on this forum and im nothing but pleased with the quick response and knowledge. Is there a specific rebuild kit that i can buy or do i need to go find these parts individually?

Last edited by BowtieTillIDie1994; April 3rd, 2017 at 2:33 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 3:52 PM
CF Active Member

Be careful of the orientation of the gears. They have a special cut on the diff side that let's the clutch gear slide across.

Also this is a good time to replace the seal in the end of the tube as preventative maintenance.

I think you'll probably have to go to the dealership for the shim and snapping. Although if you have a good hardware store around you can likely find the same stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by burnhedge; April 3rd, 2017 at 3:56 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Okay ill keep an eye on it, is there anything else besides the seal i should get done while i have everything apart? ill take a look around and if i cant find anything, off to the dealership! thank you!!!
Old April 4th, 2017, 12:34 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by BowtieTillIDie1994
Okay ill keep an eye on it, is there anything else besides the seal i should get done while i have everything apart? ill take a look around and if i cant find anything, off to the dealership! thank you!!!
I don't think their's a seal between the axle tube and the diff housing but you may want to look. Thats all i can think of unless you're looking to swap in a cable lock actuator.
Old April 5th, 2017, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

does this look like the correct retaining ring for the axle? if not do you have any pics of what its supposed to look like? also is it the same retaining ring that holds the stub axle in? im really having a hard time finding it the dealer said it was a discontinued part. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BowtieTillIDie1994; April 5th, 2017 at 7:22 PM.
Old April 6th, 2017, 2:28 AM
CF Active Member

Name:  14041989_500x500.jpg
Views: 6756
Size:  79.2 KB
This is what the circlip has looked like on the ones I've done. I can't say they didn't switch to a actual snap ring at some point, since it's listed as a snap ring on the diagram.
The last time I had to do this on my personal vehicle I made my own clip by heating up a stout piece of wire. The shim got replaced with a washer of the same dimensions. .03 cent fix.
Old April 6th, 2017, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Awesome im going to see what i can do about making something up myself, im going to tear into everything this weekend so ill give an update when its all said and done, thanks again!