Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1995 C1500 Silverado Ext Cab 2WD - Bringing It Back From (Almost) The Dead!

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2017, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1995 C1500 Silverado Ext Cab 2WD - Bringing It Back From (Almost) The Dead!

Folks,

I know it (and most folks here know it too) but BOY did I recently get a BIG reminder that 1) If you let a vehicle sit unused for months on end it will get VERY mad at you and 2) If you keep putting off fixing things you eventually end up with a TON of crap to sort out! Well, I can't say 'Oh woe is me' this time. The Chevy sat neglected for almost a year and now I find it necessary to bring it back up to snuff. At first glance it all looked insurmountable until I calmed down, sat down and wrote down everything I needed to do to make things right again. I highly recommend the process when things start looking overwhelming. After it was all down on paper and I could figure out what I could do and what 'the shop' should/must do I felt a bit better. Our family has had the C1500 since we purchased it as a 'New' Program Vehicle from a Dealer in Atlanta in late 1995 with about 1000 miles on it. It moved us from GA to FL (several trips), served as my wife's first 'New' auto for 5 years, our son's first auto for 5 years after that AND then as our daughter's first auto for 5 years after THAT! Then it went into 'second string' status and was used less and less until I find it as it is now - a strong 5.7L Gas Engine, a good rebuilt Transmission, 256,000+ on the clock and what seems like a boatload of problems. It has just served too well to let it go. Did we get our money's worth so far? Oh Hell Yes - several times over in my opinion, but I think there's still a LOT of use left in it IF I can do MY part, so here I go.

There doesn't seem to be anything really MAJOR wrong with the truck, just loads of fiddly smaller stuff and I'm already off to a decent start on the DIY front: New Battery, New Taillight Assemblies, new Ignition Switch & Wiring Harness (solved an intermittent going into 'Limp Home Mode' issue and a few other intermittent electrical issues), HVAC Mode Actuator replacement (solved a Vent Air Distribution problem with Vents/Floor/Defrost settings), HVAC Blower replacement (inop) and HVAC Evaporator Box clean out (solved a weak 'all vent' Air Flow issue - man was there a TON of chopped-up leaves & pine-straw in there - blows strong now though!). So far so good.

On the 'To Do' list is: HVAC Evacuation (by shop), HVAC System Flush and replacement of the HVAC Accumulator/Dryer, Compressor, Condenser, Orifice Tube Insert/Filter, Low Pressure Switch, High Pressure Switch (all on me), HVAC Leak Test & Recharge (by shop), Engine Serpentine Belt Tensioner & Idler Pulley replacement (by me - the Belt contact/running surfaces are rusted like hell!), Doors/Cowl Weatherstripping/Seal replacement (me - I have water ingress issues under the L&R sides of the Instrument Panel/Body Side interface), Rear Sliding Window R&R (shop - it's popping away from the body on the driver's side and , of course, leaks water), Battery Tray replacement (me - due to a previous battery failure w/fluid leakage it is pretty damn 'et through'), Front Suspension Control Arm Bushings & Ball Joints (shop), Shocks at all four corners (me), address the 'Chevy Left-side Lean' issue (me?), Driver's Seat 6-Way Motors (me - 3 motors if I can find them but it doesn't look good), Fuel Filter (me), Engine EGR Valve (me), a few SIR and IP Gauge Cluster (Speedometer/Tach inop) issues (me), Driver's Seatbelt Assembly (me - it is SO grungy (sweat soaked & dirty) that I can't stand it) and finally New Tires all around.

That (thankfully) is it - at least for now I think... Lessons learned? Fix things WHEN they break (or go inop) or they WILL pile up on you and 2) Don't let a vehicle sit for months on end unless you are willing to pay the consequences! With that said, I will now start vigorously 'mining' the forum for past posts that may help me move forward. If I can't locate any wisdom I need (and the forum is indeed loaded with it) I will probably post a 'subject specific' question to see if anyone can elaborate. I did a VERY good thing back in late 1995 when we bought the truck and that was to purchase the Helm's GM Factory Manual Set for the C1500 (a box full of stuff - several manuals are of New York City Telephone Book size!) and I have 22 years of going through them. I really don't know what I would do without them but for all the great information they contain there are times when they just can't compare with someone who's actually 'been in there and done that' and that's why this forum Rocks!

Barry

Last edited by Barry A. Waters; August 5th, 2017 at 8:46 PM.
Old August 6th, 2017, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck man! My 97 GMC Z71 Ext Cab short bed hasn't even hit 50K and that includes a round trip from Dallas to Charleston SC when it was new

Thanks for your help on my thread. I learned many moons ago that the worst thing you can do with any piece of machinery is not use it! Surprised I didn't see alternator on your list. That was the first thing to go on the 350's of this vintage. Mine went out at about 5 years. The other things I've left un-repaired are the door plunger switches so I have intermittent idiot beeps when I leave the key in the ignition. Fortunately mine has been garaged for most of it's life and got new top skin and paint in 2003/4 after a hail storm and the hood was painted again in 2009! I'm guessing the repair shop wishes they never gave that lifetime warranty! I'll bet they thought they had me in a sucker deal on that THEN 7 year old truck! Same with the Rhino lining guys!