Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1998 K2500 7.4L Hard Start??

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2019, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 K2500 7.4L Hard Start??

Anybody have a clue what’s going on here? When the engine is cold or hot it gives me a hard time starting it. I tried priming the fuel rail by turning the ignition twice before starting and that does nothing. I have to give it a little gas before she will actually start up and run. When she’s running she’s running she doesn’t sputter at all. Any clue what I’m working with here?
Old June 20th, 2019, 9:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this something which suddenly started or has just gotten progressively worse over the years?
if no codes/ check engine light then generally first things to check are fuel pressure & timing, look for cracked/broken vacuum lines.
Old June 20th, 2019, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabino56
Is this something which suddenly started or has just gotten progressively worse over the years?
if no codes/ check engine light then generally first things to check are fuel pressure & timing, look for cracked/broken vacuum lines.
I think it just started happening. I just bought the truck but when I went to look at it. It was stone cold and the truck started fine. It’s throwing code P1345.
Old June 21st, 2019, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Google P1345 and it shows that’s a crankcase position sensor code. If that’s bad or intermittent it could mess up timing. I don’t have any experience on whether a bad one could cause your symptoms but regardless I’d sort that out first. I’d probably reset the code first and see if it’s returns immediately or not. Either way, if a code was set it was for a reason and I’d check wiring and consider replacing sensor. I also don’t have experience on that year/engine so don’t know how hard to replace. Maybe someone here can offer advice on that. Good luck!
Old June 21st, 2019, 8:54 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

also locate the sensor unplug it clean with some electrical contact cleaner, let dry for a few seconds then plug it back in. could just be a poor connection