Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

transmission oil line

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2019, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission oil line

I cannot get this line off to save my life.
I have line wrenches that attach to a ratchet. I tried a few times and it started to strip. Im using a 13mm

Do any of you have suggestions on how to get this off? I already have it unhooked from the radiator so that one was easy. The problem is there's oil shooting out of this line. You can see it getting ready to drip right before I took the picture.

when running it squirts out from the nut.

Old June 22nd, 2019, 2:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume the line is going to be replaced since it's leaking, just cut it at the nut and get a hex socket on it.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

yes, it will be replaced.

Any suggestions on how to get the new one tightened up once I get it on? I hate to strip it. There's just no room to work.

I've never replaced a line like this but I do not want to pay shop to do it
Old June 22nd, 2019, 3:14 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by burnhedge
I assume the line is going to be replaced since it's leaking, just cut it at the nut and get a hex socket on it.

this is what i would do. theres no sense in trying to fix it, if the nut is that tight more than likely the flare is damaged and needs to be redone anyway
Old June 22nd, 2019, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

I'll go ahead and cut it.

I know I can get it tight as is but I didn't know if there's an easier way so I don't have to fight it so much trying to tighten it because that's all I've done to get it undone is fight it. That's how it stripped out (I guess it is just way too tight though)

I hate to get the new one attached and go to tighten it and it start stripping on me before I can tighten it due to the awkward angle the line wrench is in
Old June 22nd, 2019, 3:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What trans is this? They should have a clip that holds them in. you remove the clip in the line slides right out. At least that's the way it is on all the ones I've worked on. I believe the main nut is tightened to 35 + foot pounds so it's going to be tough to get it out without the correct socket.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
What trans is this? They should have a clip that holds them in. you remove the clip in the line slides right out. At least that's the way it is on all the ones I've worked on. I believe the main nut is tightened to 35 + foot pounds so it's going to be tough to get it out without the correct socket.

Its a 1995 Chevrolet z 71
1500 short bed 4x4

this line is on the passenger side towards the front of transmission. The line goes directly to the radiator on the passenger side

There’s definitely no clips

it’s threaded in and very tight
Old June 22nd, 2019, 4:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Okay it looks like those need a line wrench. Is the 13 mm wrench nice and tight or is there a lot of play in it? A few things I read said to use a 3/8 inch line wrench. I haven't personally worked on a 95 so I don't know for sure if that's correct.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Looks like a 3/8" wrench was for something else.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
Looks like a 3/8" wrench was for something else.

The 13mm appeared to be pretty tight

there’s so little room it’s very hard to tell though. I’m gonna buy the new line and try a 13mm on it and a standard to see which fits tighter

13mm took the one attached to the radiator off like it was nothing and it was very snug on it