Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1999 Cheyenne engine swap

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2018, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Cheyenne engine swap

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong subforum for this topic, I'm not very internet savvy.

I have a Chevy Cheyenne 2 door stepside 4.3l, old mid-late 90s box style body..owners manual calls it a 1999(Ive heard that they changed body style mid year and that is why my truck looks like a 95-98 but is a 99? accurate?)

anyhow, the transmission went out and Ive been planning on just putting a new engine and transmission in anyhow, truck has 220k miles but runs good but I want to give it to my son and not have to worry about dependability. How much harder is it to swap to v8 from the v6 setup? worth it? not looking for a race truck but I want it to haul some decent ***.

Any suggestions and input are obviously welcomed...engine suggestions, tranny, average price for the job?
Old April 13th, 2018, 3:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CheyenneChevy
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong subforum for this topic, I'm not very internet savvy.

I have a Chevy Cheyenne 2 door stepside 4.3l, old mid-late 90s box style body..owners manual calls it a 1999(Ive heard that they changed body style mid year and that is why my truck looks like a 95-98 but is a 99? accurate?)

anyhow, the transmission went out and Ive been planning on just putting a new engine and transmission in anyhow, truck has 220k miles but runs good but I want to give it to my son and not have to worry about dependability. How much harder is it to swap to v8 from the v6 setup? worth it? not looking for a race truck but I want it to haul some decent ***.

Any suggestions and input are obviously welcomed...engine suggestions, tranny, average price for the job?
You could add the 5.7 but the 4.3 does get batter gas mileage. Of course you would have to modify the exhaust system to connect the 5.7 liter.

Me I'd sell it or put a crate engine in it, or a totally overhauled motor.
Old April 13th, 2018, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to stick with the V6, the truck was my father in laws and my wife wants to keep it, my son just got his license and its perfect for him. Got a quote for a reman engine and tranny from Jasper and some front end work(idler arm and bracket, inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, alignment) all for just over $8000 after tax. It was the best deal in town and from a garage I trust. 10 years ago I would just do then damn swap in my garage haha
Old April 14th, 2018, 8:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

If the body and interior are in real good shape and you really like the truck then do it, but the Blue Book valve of that truck is less than $3,000. Really think about it before spending $8,000.