Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

88 silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2023, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 silverado

I have an 88 Silverado. I need to redo a lot of front suspension parts. I don't want parts that will only last a year. The truck has 139000 miles and has plenty of miles left to give. When I worked at a shop i was told by a more experience tech that the suspension parts we used were cheap and did not last long. Any tips on brands and why? Also any tips for me in general about rebuilding the front suspension system on this particular vehicle would be appreciated. Im looking to keep the ride as smooth as possible, it is mostly a highway truck (weekly driver). I have done one before in a couple of 89-95 chevy vans before but I had access to an air hammer and other tools I currently do not have access to and its has been a couple years since I have done it.
Old March 26th, 2023, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88chevy_silver
I have an 88 Silverado. I need to redo a lot of front suspension parts. I don't want parts that will only last a year. The truck has 139000 miles and has plenty of miles left to give. When I worked at a shop i was told by a more experience tech that the suspension parts we used were cheap and did not last long. Any tips on brands and why? Also any tips for me in general about rebuilding the front suspension system on this particular vehicle would be appreciated. Im looking to keep the ride as smooth as possible, it is mostly a highway truck (weekly driver). I have done one before in a couple of 89-95 chevy vans before but I had access to an air hammer and other tools I currently do not have access to and its has been a couple years since I have done it.

With cheap parts you get what you paid for. They're going to prematurely fail and in the worst could dangerously fail which is a risk of injury for you or your passengers.

For suspension parts you really want to use OEM AcDelco parts, or maybe Moog if you wanted to. I've heard some bad things about Moog's quality in the past few years, but I'd use Moog anyday over some cheap, unknown third party brand.