Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

93 k2500 no start

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2019, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 k2500 no start

Originally Posted by Freddy Saks
I am having a no spark, no fuel, no start situation with my 89 silverdo. It initially happened once and then started and ran fine for a few months. Last time it left me stranded and I assumed it was bad fuel pump. After letting it sit a few hrs it started and ran fine for a week. Now it has been stuck in my driveway since. I checked and assured the fuel pump had power and replaced the fuel filter. Still nothing. The fuel injectors do not spray and after I checked spark I was baffled. I tried locating and cleaning grounds and checked the coil wire. I replaced the distributor and wired a few years ago. The fuel pump relay and fuse appear to be good. The truck sat for a few weeks and I tried it just for fun and it started for a few seconds. I am thinking it maybe the ECM or the ignition switch. When the key is put in the ignition the ECM makes noise for about 10 seconds and sounds similar to a fuel pump. The truck has good compression and turns over easily. Also the ignition buzzes when you push in the key and when you turn it to start the check engine and battery light are illuminated. Is there anything that I am overlooking? It seems like it is an intermittent problem but I hate to just start replacing parts that may not be creating this no fuel no spark.
im having similar issues with my 93 k2500. I replaced ecm a few times and ignition switch along with everything else a guy can think of and still didn’t fix the problem. I’m going to start fixing all the ground wires i come across. Did you ever come across a ground wire for the ecm if so where was it located
Old December 31st, 2019, 1:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Ignition Control Module (ICM) in the distributor signals the TBI, Had the exact same problem with my 94, changed that module and it's been good for 4 years, $20 part and nothing special needed to change it.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (January 6th, 2020)
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Here is a list of everything i have changed on my truck.
1. fuel pump
2. fuel pump relay
3. fuel pump ground wire
4. fuel filter
5. fuel pump fusible link
6. Ignition switch
7. ignition control module
8. knock sensor
9. Coil
10. plugs and wires
11. cap and rotor
12. distributor (twice)
13. Ecm (3 times)
14. chip inside the ecm (twice)
15. Complete new throttle body
16. fuel pressure regulator
17. starter
18. battery
19. ground and battery cables
20. all new fuses even if they were not bad

im sure i missed a few things but as a stated in previous posts i replaced everything still no start, no engine light, no spark, no fuel. All it does is turn over. All the wires are connected as they should be. Obvious ground wires that i could see from engine bay have been cleaned and or replaced. I’m out of ideas and haven’t messed with the truck in a couple months.
Old January 7th, 2020, 10:45 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

ok lets start with the basics, how often do you see this issue? is it only on a cold engine or hot?
when did this problem start and when did you replace the parts?
Old January 7th, 2020, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

it started with a bad ground on the clearance lights and i just ended up disconnecting them then a year later the heater control stopped working. Found a bad wire on the fire wall and replaced it. then 6 months later (last summer) it started acting up and misfire, no start, let it sit for a few hours and would start and run fine until i shut it off. No engine light or anything. Then it got worse now it won’t do anything other then turn over. As i said i replaced everything. Took valve cover off made sure it was top dead center after the new distributor was put in just to cover anything i missed. I’ve chased wires on main wire harnesses and everything looks as it should. Replaced ground wire on fuel pump along with ground wires on the motor. And new battery cable and ground cable. If it was a high mileage vehicle I’d walk away and start with another project but it only has 105,000 miles on it and the body and interior is mint, always garage kept and Temperature controlled year round, i thought maybe mice but i haven’t had mice in my yard in about 6-7 years so i ran out of ideas and made this post
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:32 AM
I'm here for the party

ok, since you have no spark and no fuel im going to say its prob a poor connection at the ecm. i would go back to the fuses and use test light and verify the fuses are getting power. ill try to get a check list or a troubleshooting guild
Old January 8th, 2020, 5:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the same issue in a 1988 Cheyenne.Replaced all that you listed. still crank/ no start.
The following users liked this post:
kattlove71 (February 7th, 2023)
Old January 8th, 2020, 8:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, frustrating I’m sure. Given you’ve had a series of bad wires over time I’d agree with Irish to verify wiring with voltmeter/continuity check even though you visibly checked. You may want to get a length of wire so you can check continuity end-end of wires and not just checking for voltage & ground. There are also fuseable links to various things off the distribution block which can go bad without necessarily looking bad visibly. I don’t have a lot of experience to add but have a pdf of the electrical for 1993 I downloaded at some point. Maybe it will help troubleshoot. Good luck.

Last edited by Sabino56; January 8th, 2020 at 9:28 AM.
Old January 8th, 2020, 9:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't get the pdf of wiring manual to upload. If you need it, send me pm and I can email it to you.
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:17 PM
I'm here for the party

Moira i would start your own post so we dont get confused as to who is responding. if you want check the basics like we're getting kevin to do and post your findings on your post.

Kevin, do you hear the fuel pumps prime when you turn the key on?
do you have a single or dual tank setup?
when you first turn the key on does your "Check engine light" come on?
have to tried to retrieve codes from it (if it comes on)?

Quick Reply: 93 k2500 no start