Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

'93 Suburban, freaky intermittent electrical short--won't start during short

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2020, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Suburban, freaky intermittent electrical short--won't start during short

Ground lug: tan w/white strip and black w/white stripe. Bolts to back of A/C compressor

This thing sparks when the engine is warm, indicating a short. The engine will not start at that time. When this thing isn't shorting out, the engine starts fine. Engine starts fine with this disconnected. Any thoughts (I don't have a wiring schematic)?

Old October 19th, 2020, 3:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Where is it's home when connected??
Old October 19th, 2020, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

The ground lug at the rear of the A/C compressor (that's a closeup of that lug in the photo).
Old October 19th, 2020, 4:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSilverado
The ground lug at the rear of the A/C compressor (that's a closeup of that lug in the photo).
Put a real terminal on it.
Old October 20th, 2020, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

seems like something upstream is dumping 12v to that ground. A schematic would help (I've seen them posted for this car somewhere but can't remember) but probably you need to trace the wires back looking for damaged wires. I would think some component failing/shorting out would blow a fuse. Guessing this is a power and ground wire making contact somewhere due to cut/damage/wear. A schematic won't help find that.
Old October 21st, 2020, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Savbino56, you're thinking along the same lines that I am. Anyhow, I ordered the factory wiring schematic book, just to understand the circuits involved.

So, one more time, here's what happens:
  • turn key to start and sparks come to that terminal, indicating short
  • disconnect the terminal from ground and the engine cranks right up when you turn the key to start
  • intermittent problem, so the two wires rubbing together theory could be correct
Old October 21st, 2020, 4:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

btw - I remembered where the schematics were - https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95...manuals.43575/

page 160 shows circuit for AC clutch, high pressure switch and assuming ground is for that as ground is to AC - shows that it goes to a fuseable link which may explain why it's not blowing a fuse. There is also a diode across power/grnd on clutch coil - but I thought those things died and were dead, not intermittent. But I'm not an electrical guy so don't know for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sabino56:
John Kleck (March 19th, 2021), Maikelo (October 22nd, 2020)
Old October 22nd, 2020, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. Valuable info and link!

I'll take a look as well.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

sparks do not always indicate a short. That is a ground wire, and should be connected to chassis ground.

Sparks can indicate a poor or intermittent connection though. Clean the terminal with a wire brush and re-tighten the bolt.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (October 23rd, 2020)
Old October 23rd, 2020, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks MMJ, however, that doesn't seem square with the way the starter won't crank when the ground lug is connected (instead a spark occurs), but if I unhook the wire from that ground the starter cranks right up. It seems more to match this from the wiring manual:

Quick Reply: '93 Suburban, freaky intermittent electrical short--won't start during short