Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

97 1500 Cheyenne Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2019, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured out what my issue was after taking it to the shop. Had a hairline crack on the inside of the distributor cap near the button and since it was so small I never saw it. Had spark to the plugs, but I guess it was just not strong enough to let the engine run. Didn't think that the distributor cap would be bad as it was changed only ~300 miles before the fuel pump died. So the lesson I learned is take a real close look at that distributor cap if you run into a similar situation because if you take it to the shop you could end up paying $300 plus for one .
Old April 8th, 2019, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Trujillo
Figured out what my issue was after taking it to the shop. Had a hairline crack on the inside of the distributor cap near the button and since it was so small I never saw it. Had spark to the plugs, but I guess it was just not strong enough to let the engine run. Didn't think that the distributor cap would be bad as it was changed only ~300 miles before the fuel pump died. So the lesson I learned is take a real close look at that distributor cap if you run into a similar situation because if you take it to the shop you could end up paying $300 plus for one
For usual crank-no-start causes click here
Having a spark, which is not 'strong' enough is a very tricky situation.
You pull out the plugs, and see that they are creating a spark, but they don't have enough voltage to ignite the mixture, especially on start-up.