Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Ac system still not working after multiple checks.

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2019, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac system still not working after multiple checks.

Hey fellas I replaced my compressor accumulator and orifice tube all while changing every seal and flushing the system. Pulled the vacuum down and had no leaks. Charged with 31 oz of freon with dye. The clutch will not engage unless I jump out the relay. The relay checked out fine. I jumped the low pressure switch on the accumulator and the high pressure on the back of the compressor. Still not kicking in. I pulled the control panel and checked the connections and it seems fine but haven't really dig into it. I replaced the compressor due to it leaking on the belly and bought the whole kit for good measure. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my kids lol. Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2019, 3:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Jump out the relay? Are you applying battery voltage to the relay coil, also are you applying +, and - to the coil?
Old June 21st, 2019, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Using a paper clip to connect the terminal after I pull the relay. I applied power to the relay itself and and checked it's engagement and it's fine. Also I put another relay in that I knew worked and it still doesn't engage the compressor. I checked the plugs with a multimeter and it's not getting the signal to start the compressor
Old June 21st, 2019, 4:07 PM
CF Monarch

You're not getting power to the relay contact for the clutch? You are getting power to the relay coil? You've swapped out the relay, same result? Do you have an electrical schematic for that circuit? I'd suggest with test light, or meter back track from the relay contact pin to see if you have voltage to that point. If not, you will have to trace back where you don't have it. Relay coil, with switch on, fuse good, you will have to find where the voltage to the coil stops. I am not sure if the relay is switched from the + or the -.
The following users liked this post:
Bagged87chevy (June 21st, 2019)
Old June 21st, 2019, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I'll keep looking further cause it's not getting voltage. I have a buddy that's bringing me another control panel tomorrow so I'll be able to eliminate that as well. All fuses are good btw. Even swapped them out for new ones for good measure. I've seen where the control panel can be bad even though the indicator lights are on. Thanks for your help so far
Old June 21st, 2019, 5:27 PM
CF Monarch

When you charged the system, wasn't the compressor working?
Old June 21st, 2019, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well it had leaked out the freon from the compressor leaking. That's why I replaced it. It worked the last time I charged it. When I charged the new one I had to jump out the relay to make it work.