Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

All lights flickering and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2017, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All lights flickering and hesitation

Hi there, I have a 91 1500 with a 350 vortex engine... I just put 2 new used heads, new alternator, new starter... it sounds great! But... there's always a but huh haha... had the battery and the alternator checked and they are good orielys says.... All lights are wigging out dimming and brightening.. which it has never done in the past... as well as when I accelerate it starts to hesitate... would anyone kindly help me plz ! Work is being lost : ( I cannot check the code because the connector is bad... smh... any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!
Old August 31st, 2017, 8:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sure sounds like a charging system fluctuation. maybe the voltage regulator in the new alternator is bad.
-is the drive belt for the alternator loose?
-perform voltage drops of the insulated and grd circuits of the charging system and battery cables. maybe there is a loose connection.
Old August 31st, 2017, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering and hesitation

Hey there, thanks for your response. I took it up to oreileys and ran a test on the battery and alternator, said they were both good, would that test not show a bad regulator? There is 1 belt that connects everything together and it's nice n taught, how do I do the voltage drop test?
Old September 1st, 2017, 8:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

bench test may not show a fault...you would need a labscope that can see the voltage fluctuations. a dvom would not switch fast enough to see the voltage change.
I had the same problem on my grand prix...checked the ecm control for the field and voltage drops of the insulated and grd circuits. replacing the alternator/voltage regulator fixed it.

to perform voltage drop testing
-start engine
-turn on all electrical accessories to create a load
-with a voltmeter, check the insulated circuit
-put one lead on the positive battery post at the battery, put the other lead on the generator output cable...the big wire
-read the voltage drop...should be less than 0.4 volts

-test the grd circuit...one lead on the alternator case, the other on the negative battery post....should be less than 0.3 volts.

if thats ok...i would check the wires that feed the alternator feed circuit...if they are ok...change the voltage regulator...if the regulator is internal to the alternator...replace the alternator.