Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Bad catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2022, 2:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad catalytic converter?

97 k1500 5.7liter

Bought the truck cheap not long ago, going over each thing one at a time. Next up is the exhaust issue.
The truck sounds like it as an aftermarket muffler, but it does not lol. It has a nice little rumble , not too loud, which is cool but I know that's an issue , possibly a hole somewhere? Plugged cat?
My check engine light ofcourse is on with a misfire on number 4. Also have a weird sulfur smell every so often
everything points to a bad cat, is there a way to fix this without spending a crap ton?? Thanks for help guys, one piece at a time !
Old January 23rd, 2022, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Basically looking for some DIY tips on fixing catalytic converters. Anyone else fixed them yourself ? What ya do?
Old January 23rd, 2022, 9:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

scotty kilmers channel has a cat Hack fix.
if you cat was plugged....it would have no power at high rpm. bypassing the cat by removing the 02 sensor is a way of checking for a clogged cat.

if the cat was not redox reacting it would set p0420 p0430 dtc.

swap #4 plug and wire with a non misfiring cylinder...see if the misfire follow the plug and wire. if it does,,,replace plug and wire. if it stays on #4 and the misfire is all the time...compression test. if the misfire is intermitent....when does it occur?
Old January 23rd, 2022, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
scotty kilmers channel has a cat Hack fix.
if you cat was plugged....it would have no power at high rpm. bypassing the cat by removing the 02 sensor is a way of checking for a clogged cat.

if the cat was not redox reacting it would set p0420 p0430 dtc.

swap #4 plug and wire with a non misfiring cylinder...see if the misfire follow the plug and wire. if it does,,,replace plug and wire. if it stays on #4 and the misfire is all the time...compression test. if the misfire is intermitent....when does it occur?
I'll do the plug swap test today and see what happens. The misfire is consistent , I changed all the plugs a few months ago as soon as I bought it. I haven't changed the wires , rotor or cap yet. That was next ,until I realized what the cat was doing , I'm assuming it's a hole somewhere because I'm getting exhaust from both the end of the tail pipe,like normal, AND from right under the engine , around the Cat area. It could be antifreeze burning off as I did replace the water pump yesterday, fired it up this morning and had an intermittent flow of exhaust right from under the cat, it didn't do that before , so I'm guessing that's antifreeze.

I will put the code reader back on today and get a list up of all the codes, I know a few were pertaining to the cat and/or emissions, I can't remember exactly what they were but I will get them posted today. Thank you for the help Tech 2
Old January 23rd, 2022, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Follow up question, if it is the cat, and they or it needs replaced. I want to run a system with no cat, and just the stock mufflers for now. I want good power and good gas mileage on the truck ,is this the right way to go about it? I don't fully understand back pressure and all that yet, but what ya think would be the best setup for a 5.7l? I don't want it stupid loud, I want a deep rumble. Also I know a tune is probably required after cutting the cat? So the computer doesn't know the cat is gone ? I'm researching this stuff today as I don't fully understand yet. Thanks again for any help
Old January 23rd, 2022, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update!

Update on the exhaust system. Threw a code reader on it, no longer a misfire , I guess the new plugs and wires took care of that. The only codes now are bank 1 and 2 for the O2 sensors. There are 4 O2 sensors total, 2 behind each cat and 2 after. With the louder exhaust sound I have, I'm assuming one of my cats is bad, I did check for leaks/holes, I couldn't find any .
I think I will cut both cats off and just run pipe to the stock muffler , and erase engine codes.. thoughts ??

Last edited by Jesse9657350; January 23rd, 2022 at 2:58 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 4:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post the codes b4 you cut anything off.

if you want to find the exhaust leak....idle the engine and have a friend hold a rag over the tailpipe. this will create back pressure making the leak easier to find....feel and listen for the leak. check the manifolds for broken bolts and signs of a leak....black soot.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Tech 2 , ok I will post codes today before I go any further.
I also have a buddy that will help with that rag test, will post updates tonight , much appreciated 👍👍👍
Old January 23rd, 2022, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 205 Likes on 179 Posts

Depending on where you live cat removal is illegal and I think keeps you from passing emissions; maybe no longer a problem for a '97??
Old January 25th, 2022, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Rednucleus emissions isn't a worry in Montana , luckily lol
tech2 working on getting codes my code reader is "missing", I'll have them up soon 😎

Quick Reply: Bad catalytic converter?