Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Blowing Ignition fuse A 40 amp

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing Ignition fuse A 40 amp

I keep blowing the Ignition A fuse. I put a new fuse in started right up drove it around a little and parked it. The other day i drove it over to work when a went to start it and the fuse blew again. I had some extra fuse with so i put one in, the second i turned the key to start it, it would blow the fuse when i got it home and shut it off it started right up drove it around parked it but when I went to put it in reverse it cut off blew the fuse. So it’s randomly blowing the fuse whenever it wants. Never done it while I’m driving just when I go to park it will cut off or go to reverse it will cut off. Or on start it will blow the fuse before I even try to crank the truck. I have no idea what is going on or where to start. Please help 95 Chevy Silverado 1500

Last edited by Theonlybreez; July 23rd, 2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old July 24th, 2019, 7:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Was there any work done to the truck before this problem? Were any parts changed especially electric parts?
Old July 24th, 2019, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Just the radio. But I unplugged that because that’s what I thought it was. And it stopped doing it for a couple months and then started doing it again blowing the fuse.

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Was there any work done to the truck before this problem? Were any parts changed especially electric parts?
Old July 24th, 2019, 9:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think oldchevy is on good point. If it started happening after doing something that’s where to look. Otherwise it’s some simultaneously occurring failure in ignition switch or something.
You said you had radio work done. I’d assume this means replacing OEM radio with an aftermarket? Not just replacing original with another OEM radio?
if so, whoever installed would have put a new connector for radio and tapped into power, grnd, speakers somewhere. If wherever they tapped into power is shorting out just unplugging radio won’t fix that. You’d need to find where they added their wiring to truck’s existing wiring and check that.
That said, If that was it I wouldn’t understand why it doesn’t short out when you driving also.
Old July 24th, 2019, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Well I can say the did cut the factory harness from the truck to put in the radio. So that’s where I need to start because they wired the harness for the radio to the actual wires in the truck with out a “plug and play”
Old July 24th, 2019, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

So could I use a multimeter to find the short? It has to be within the wire the connected themselves
Old July 25th, 2019, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

If this is the problem area - hard to use a multimeter as it's obviously not a dead short (ie. blowing the fuse every time as soon as key turned).
I'd get in there, try to look what's been done and if there is anything obviously stupid/bad.
With key off - you could probably use a multimeter from pwr to grnd (assuming it's a key on pwr) and wiggle cables/splices and see if there is any jump in meter. not 100% test but perhaps would catch something.

I'm still stuck between thinking it's the radio install as it started with the install and no explanation why it only seems to happen when you park, start - not driving/blowing fuse at anytime. If there is something that shorts when you bounce, wiggle - you'd think driving would cause it more than parking/moving lever into park, etc.
Old July 25th, 2019, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Exactly! Like it’s just mind blowing to think about what it is. Because it is a hit or miss if it starts or not. And it stop for a couple months and started again. I checked the starter wire to make sure it wasn’t touching the exhaust but the truck starts so it can’t be it. Maybe the Ignition switch? Maybe something about the wiring in the steering column. I have no idea. The hardest part is spending all this money to find the problem. That’s the time consuming part. Once you done it it’s probably an easy fix. I checked wires from the fuse box they all covered and look good. And taking it to a shop for someone to charge 200$ and say oh I don’t know what the problem is, is not what I wanna do
Old July 26th, 2019, 2:26 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah stuff like this is really frustrating.
Pulling out radio, getting into cables and splicing in new under the dash is not fun, cramped working space. It’s possible while getting in there and out they messed up something else? Pulled on wires and caused short on something not related to radio? Perhaps look at more than just what they’ve done, esp cables running up into steering column. I assume you have an automatic with shift on column? Perhaps moving shift lever is moving/wiggling something.

if you don’t find something by looking, and no one else has other ideas I would find schematic for your vehicle and start at the fuse which blows and see what is on that fuse and attempt to isolate the problem. I have schematics for a 93 and it doesn’t have a ign A fuse. The only large amperage fuses are switched power to convenience center and the always hot power to convenience center (ie. stuff like power windows, cig lighter, radio, etc. )

Which makes me wonder what’s on your 40amp IGN A fuse?