Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Both head gaskest leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both head gaskest leaking coolant

What I have; '98 Z71, 5.7 Vortec Vin Code R with 186K miles

What I know; Visual inspection and coolant leaking at Head/Block seam.
No apparent water in oil. I am Not using Dextrol
Exhaust drips clear water at start-up.
Performance/power is good, needing to add about 8-10oz coolant every 12-15 miles
How common for Both sides to leak?

Old June 8th, 2019, 10:35 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

not common if its out of the blue but if the engine was overheated or of the head bolts were not properly torqued down then i could see both sides or if they somehow damaged both gaskets during a past install
Old June 9th, 2019, 7:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Try Bar's Block Seal. I know it doesn't fix the problem and is only a stop gap, but it works and usually lasts quite a long time. It will buy you time till you are ready to do the work.
Old June 10th, 2019, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Try Bar's Block Seal. I know it doesn't fix the problem and is only a stop gap, but it works and usually lasts quite a long time. It will buy you time till you are ready to do the work.
It seemed to happen after I did a flush, but I let it sit overnight, so I know it's not from heat stress. Never has overheated, in fact thermo was stuck opened, replaced that during flush. Never has been rebuilt. I'll be putting in a head gasket sealer like Bar's as CF mentioned or maybe K-Seal. I drive it less than 50 miles a week, if even that, and that might be the problem too. If I remember that I started this thread I'll get back to y'all and let you know what happens. Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2019, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your intake manifold gasket is leaking. Yeah, it could be heads but unlikely. Both the TBI's, and especially the Vortec motors are notorious for this. FelPro galket kit is the fix. Stop leak is generally not the best thing, and most likely won't stop the leak, or not for long.......
Old June 24th, 2019, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Update: It was only leaking on one side. Fan blew coolant all over making it look worse. It was leaking right at the seam between the block and head right at the elongated boss casting support for the PS pump bracket. I actually was able to see it dribble out, cold or hot. Put in K-Seal, so far, so good. The nut that holds to the bracket for the pump is threaded onto a bolt that goes into the block below the leak so I knew that wasn't it. If I remember, I'll keep this thread/post updated after a couple hundred miles or so. Thanks for all y'alls input