Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Budget scanner that has cam retard

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2019, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Budget scanner that has cam retard

Hello everyone im 19 looking for a budget scanner/327 elm or anything that can read cam retard. camshaft crankshaft correlation from what i understand. I have a 1998 chevy cheyenne k1500 4x4 vortec 5.0L 305CID 5 speed manual. I need to make sure it is set to zero because you cant time these the traditional way from what i understand. when i bought it from a older guy who said it ran pretty good in tell he had a tune up done. coil pack sparkplugs/wires and distributor and now it runs rough at high rpm loss of power and gas mileage down he gave up on it and sold it to me for 1100 bucks and before i do anything i really want to find out what the cam retard says after watching scanner danner on youtube. my local auto parts store scanner does not read this. Im am new to this so please correct me if im not understanding this right.
Old May 4th, 2019, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post the link for scanner danner
Old May 4th, 2019, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

This is one of the videos i watched from scannerdanner and it is not only his videos but his approach im so sick of getting bad information from part changers!!!
he actually traces why this is happening not just WELL ITS TIMING CHAIN ITS BLOW BY ITS CLUTCH. Im just looking for a cheap scanner to read cam crank correlation/cam retard. So thank you for replying any help would be great.
Old May 5th, 2019, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

please chevy forum don't be another part changer BS FOURM. step up chevy/gm techs if you know your **** I'm 19 and know more then most of you part changing wannabes please please set me strait on this!!! I'm a kid trying to learn I DO NOT WANT TO BE A PARTS CHANGER LIKE EVERYONE I KNOW! I will do what ever it takes I want to learn!!!
Old May 5th, 2019, 8:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

as far as a scan tool...try autoenginuity.com for a laptop based system. It will show pretty much everything a tech2 gm scanner will. Or get a used tech 2 scanner.

before doing that: did you verify the distributor was installed properly and base timing set correctly? Are you getting a cam/crank correlation code? There are also mechanical checks you can do without teardown to measure timing chain stretch.
Old May 5th, 2019, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you! That scan tool looks perfect for me. I have not verified that the distributor was installed correctly from what i read #1 cylinder should be at top dead center. Ive made sure that the plug wires are all ran correctly. How would i measure chain stretch this sounds like something i should definitely check. I just want to say thank you for your knowledge and time!!!