Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

C1500 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2020, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1500 Clutch

95 Chevy 1500, lost clutch pressure while driving. Changed clutch master cylinder, clutch hydraulic line, and the slave cylinder. Can not for the life of me build any pressure to adequately bleed the system. WTF am I doing wrong? Tried to gravity bleed it, nothing. Just no pressure. Plastic band on the slave that keeps the rod in place is still whole, does not push the rod at all.
95 1500 Cheyenne
5.0 engine
2WD
Old March 27th, 2020, 8:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaday2
95 Chevy 1500, lost clutch pressure while driving. Changed clutch master cylinder, clutch hydraulic line, and the slave cylinder. Can not for the life of me build any pressure to adequately bleed the system. WTF am I doing wrong? Tried to gravity bleed it, nothing. Just no pressure. Plastic band on the slave that keeps the rod in place is still whole, does not push the rod at all.
95 1500 Cheyenne
5.0 engine
2WD
Did you bench bleed the slave, and master?
The following users liked this post:
rmaday2 (March 27th, 2020)
Old March 27th, 2020, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Did you bench bleed the slave, and master?
Yes sir.
Old March 27th, 2020, 9:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

Disconnect the line and bleed the master cylinder by itself again. When you are sure that is completely bled then reconnect and try again.
Old March 27th, 2020, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

I will again, though it will be a few days, likely Wednesday. So I may not have any reply for awhile. Can I bleed the slave again while it is still on the vehicle for extra measure? Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
Old March 27th, 2020, 5:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

Yes, but bleed the master first.
Old March 27th, 2020, 6:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had to do this several times on both my truck with an external slave and my jeep wangler 4.3L swap with the internal slave. Always a PIA, if you have bench bled the master try this, bleeder closed, pump clutch pedal 30 times last pump hold pedal to the floor and have someone open the bleeder, bleed it, then close it and repeat. Do this until you finally have pedal that you are happy with. You'll probably think you leg is going to fall off first but this method has worked for me every time. And remember to keep an eye on the master since it holds so little you don't want to waste your efforts by running it dry and sucking air into the system.
Old March 28th, 2020, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Just an FYI for those of you that are replying to this thread. Today I bled the clutch master again by connecting a tube to the bottom of the master and ran it back into the top, and rebled it until my son's leg about fell off. The last 50 pumps produced no air. I reconnected the line and I will try to rebleed the whole system tomorrow. (We have dinner plans tonight. ) Any thoughts about doing a reverse bleed on the slave by disconnecting the slave and pushing the rod in and out to remove any air out through the clutch master? Or just do a regular bleed. I do plan on doing a gravity bleed before I do anything. I always appreciate the input, and I will continue to update you guys.
Old March 28th, 2020, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaday2
Just an FYI for those of you that are replying to this thread. Today I bled the clutch master again by connecting a tube to the bottom of the master and ran it back into the top, and rebled it until my son's leg about fell off. The last 50 pumps produced no air. I reconnected the line and I will try to rebleed the whole system tomorrow. (We have dinner plans tonight. ) Any thoughts about doing a reverse bleed on the slave by disconnecting the slave and pushing the rod in and out to remove any air out through the clutch master? Or just do a regular bleed. I do plan on doing a gravity bleed before I do anything. I always appreciate the input, and I will continue to update you guys.
Is it possible that you do not have a loose line? This is no different than any hydraulic system be it brake or clutch. Recheck your hose connections, and go from there. Just a suggestion.
Old March 28th, 2020, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

The hose attachment to the slave and master are both solid pins, not the cotter pin type. The connections push up pretty tight into both, it takes some effort before I push in the pins. But like everything, you never know. I will double check. Thank you for your input