Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Chevy Tbi Ignition Module

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2021, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Tbi Ignition Module

So I have a 1990 Chevy Silverado (5.7L K2500). This truck has been babied and had everything replaced within its time intervals. The truck has been running great for years. I was driving it to school yesterday and it was running great, I went to leave school and it wouldn't start, just sat there and cranked. I found out that it was getting no spark so I went to the auto parts store and got a new coil. This did not change a thing, had the air cleaner off then so I saw that it was getting no fuel out the injectors as well. I then replaced the Ignition module in the distributor after a lot of research as this, I thought, was a common problem. Truck then finally started up and idled great. As soon as I put it in gear it felt like it was HEAVILY misfiring, it would shut off every time I was in gear at idle (at a stop light or stop sign). Made it from my school to the on ramp to the highway and it just shut off and wouldn't crank back up for the life of me. That night I had triple A tow it to a shop for me. Only to find out the shop can't work on the truck because it is too old as did every other shop in town that I called. (I have never replaced a distributor so I didn't feel comfortable doing this on the side of the road). Then I had triple A tow it to my house where it all of sudden started right up and drove better than it did before. I just don't know what changed or what could cause it to just go back to normal. I should say though that when I pulled the cap off the distributor the rotor was rusted pretty badly as well as the plate the module sits on. I went out and bought a new distributor to put in it but, I'm not too sure if I should at this point. Really I'm just trying to figure out what happened and if I should go ahead and replace the distributor or if it is just fine now. I really have no idea please help. Thank you
Old April 27th, 2021, 1:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

Hope you didn't buy a cheap aftermarket distributor. I have had bad luck with those. I only use AC/Delco now. It's not that hard to change them. Just make sure you point the rotor in the exact position the old one was in when you took it out. Also keep the body of the distributor in the exact same position as the old one. You can find a video on this on Youtube.
Old April 27th, 2021, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...archTerm=t1830 ... This is the distributor I bought, I got it because it had a lifetime warranty. So you think I should just go ahead and put this distributor in. The old one is still in it right now, its the one that came stock.
Old April 28th, 2021, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

You already bought it, so yes I would put it in.