Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Dash gauges bouncing, Amp gauge shows discharge

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2018, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gauges bouncing, Amp gauge shows discharge

I have a 1993 Chevy K1500 4x4. All of a sudden, the dash gauge needles are jumping up and down. The amp gauge shows a complete discharge all the time when running. I have tested the battery, cleaned and replaced the battery post bolts and the negative battery cable. Replaced the alternator, multi-function relay on the firewall, the ignition cap and rotor. I have also replaced the ignition switch in the steering column. All to no avail.When it's not under a load, sitting in the driveway, in park, with the engine running, it runs and sounds great. But when I drive it, it wants to stall, the ABS light flashes and the gauges needles jump erratically.
Please, what do I do now to make my Chevy dependable again?

Last edited by GeezerPete; June 3rd, 2018 at 9:46 AM. Reason: I first changed the negative cable
Old May 21st, 2018, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Check, clean ground on the abs.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Check, clean ground on the abs.
I don't know where the ground for the ABS system is located. Can you tell me where to find it and what it is? Thank you for your help.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

I couldn't get anyone to tell me where the ABS ground is. So, I decided to replace the positive cable from the battery to the stater, didn't work. Then I pulled the dash gauges cluster and touched up the solder on the plugs. Didn't work. Has anyone ever ran into this problem before?
Old July 19th, 2018, 8:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had similar problem intermittently. My abs was also bad and throwing every code possible. I found a power wire which had been overheated on power distribution o firewall. I assumed an actuator or something in the abs was shorting so I removed it. I haven’t had same problem since but no direct confirmation that was the problem as it was intermittent in first place. Is the yellow abs light on? If so, I’d try unplugging the two connectors on the abs (on drivers side inner fender) and see if it goes away.
Old July 19th, 2018, 9:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Look under the frame, it's the largest ground wire there