Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Driving,cut off, crank and no start

Old January 20th, 2019, 2:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Driving,cut off, crank and no start**

Hello everyone...

Really could use some help with this one. My 1998 C2500 5.7 Vortec. 340,000 miles, I was driving home from work truck running perfect. Without notice the engine shuts down, I drift off the road and tried to restart.. No go, I cycled the key and did hear the fuel pump prime up, The pump is 1 year old, AC Delco. So the engine cranks but no start. No CEL, and never had any lit. I have replaced the Crank sensor, ign coil, ignition module, and the module in the distributor, distributor, battery and ECM. I thought about maybe it jumped time, would that cause a no spark condition? I am open for assistance. I have tried ether, again no spark, but tried anyway. pulled plugs and checked them. Compression is good, fuel pressure is 60psi+. I have 12 volts going to all the modules, fuses are good, relay's are good as well. No spark anywhere.. I am stumped.

Last edited by usmarine0905; January 30th, 2019 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Updating status
Old January 20th, 2019, 4:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there a cel? Try cranking it without the cap, is the cap, is the rotor turning?
Old January 20th, 2019, 6:10 PM
CF Active Member

@Kevinkpk..... there is no "cel" the rotor is turning when engine is cranked
Old January 20th, 2019, 6:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

At this point, can you pull the distributor, and inspect it for wear/shear on the drive gear?
Old January 20th, 2019, 7:18 PM
CF Active Member

Yes I will do it in the morning. I have a New aluminum distributor that I can install in place of the other. But if there is no spark from the coil... isn't that after the issue? I am just asking
Old January 22nd, 2019, 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Update on the Ride.... @ Kevinpk... Distributor is fine and gear is good as well.
Also, tonight I rechecked the voltage to ign module, coil, and crank sensor. All have a strong 12v going to them. I have pulled the fuel pump relay to keep the cylinders from flooding up. Still no spark!!
(With relay in or out) If the engine has jumped time, would that cause a "No Spark condition?" Again, the rotor is turning when cranked over. No codes are stored, and no CEL was ever on when running.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked the spark plugs? When were they last replaced? Severely worn plugs can cause starting/run problems. Just a thought as you've checked everything else.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

yes plugs are good. I am not getting any spark to them.. All ignition components have been replaced..
Old January 27th, 2019, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

UPDATE****
Well still no spark, compression is good. Replaced crank,hall(distributor),coil, and ignition module, rotor and cap. I replaced the ECM, on the L/S engine compartment. Pulled number One plug, rotated engine until mark lined up on timing cover with mark on Harmonic balancer. Pulled Dist. cap and saw rotor is pointing to #1. I have 12 volts going to each sensor, and a good ground, I could not find the 5v at the sensors when key is in the "Run" position. There are and were NO "CEL" at anytime during the drive when it cut off and still there are none. I used a "GM Tech 2" scanner and no codes where present. I am thinking a jumped T chain, thinking that would misaligned the crank sensor and the wheel, never sensing the timing spot on to firing the cylinders. I am lost with this one. Can anyone help out. Thanks in advance....
Old February 2nd, 2019, 8:05 PM
CF Active Member

I honestly do not know what to say. I purchased a new distributor, aluminum not plastic, and reinstalled the same new components that I had previously used. WTH. It fired right up. SMDH. Scanned the truck ecm, and set timing, and reset some fuel injection specs. Running smoother than before. Again I have no idea why replacing the distributor with they aluminum instead of plastic made a difference but that s what it was. Thanks to everyone that has helped and given me and input doing this problem.

Thanks
Usmarine0905

Search this Thread